Chapter Ninety Two

james & lily's room

"Today was perfect.", Lily sighed. "It was.", James smiled, kissing her.

"What's wrong?", James asked, concerned. "Nothing.", Lily said, looking down.

"I know you, Lils.".

"I just- I thought Petunia would come.", Lily whispered. "It's her loss.", James said, tucking Lily's hair behind her ears.

"I love you.", Lily smiled, pecking him on the lips. "I love you too.", James smiled, lifting her up and spinning her around.

Lily curled up against James, her head against his chest. James wrapped his arms protectively around her, asleep, and his glasses still on his nose.

two days later

"James. James, I have to leave. The Order.", Lily whispered to James, who was sleeping. "Mhm.", James grunted, before opening his eyes.

"Why is Dumbledore doing this at three in the morning?", he grumbled, rubbing his eyes. "I love you.", Lily said, kissing his forehead. "I love you too, be safe.", he said.

A knocking on the door woke Sirius up, as he turned around on the bed. "Who's here at this hour?", he grumbled, but didn't make an effort to get up.

The knocking continued, and Sirius groaned again. "Go away.", he muttered, putting his head on Remus' chest. "Someone should get that, you know.", Remus snorted.

"They'll go away soon enough, whoever they are.", Sirius responded. The knocking continued. "I'm coming.", he muttered, standing up. He walked to the door, dragging his feet.

"Can you stop knocking? I'm here. Dumbass.", Sirius cursed, opening the door gruffly. Regulus looked up at him solemnly, his eyes big.

"What are you doing here?", Sirius asked, his mouth dropping open. "Sirius, please.", Regulus begged. "Get away from me.", Sirius said firmly.

"I need to- I need to talk to you guys. It's important.", Regulus pleaded, still in the doorway.

"What's taking so long, love?", Remus asked, his hair messed up.

"Regulus?", he asked, surprised. James and Peter walked to the door behind him, looking confused.

"Come in.", James said, shooting a look at Sirius. Sirius muttered something that sounded a lot like "Traitor.", while James looked apologetic.

"D-do you want anything to eat?", Peter asked, breaking the awkward silence. Regulus shook his head. "No. Thank you."

"Baby boy knows his manners.", Sirius mocked, making his voice higher. "Sirius.", Remus said softly.

"First, I really want to say sorry to you, Remus. You'd been nothing but kind to me and I- I ruined it. I didn't mean for Severus to do- to do what he did." he said quietly.

"It's okay.", Remus said. After a pause, he said, "Actually, it's not. It's not just about my secret, I would've killed someone. I'm glad you understand that. Thanks to James, I didn't. But I do forgive you."

Sirius looked at Regulus, not saying anything. "The next thing is- he caught me once. I was there, on one of your missions, Sirius. I was the one who helped you out of the building. But I think he saw me. I made up some excuse that I was pushing you back under. He's been watching me carefully now. I think I may have an idea of what he's trying to do, and I think I can stop him.", Regulus ended, wincing.

"That was you?", Sirius asked quietly. Regulus nodded. "What- what did he do to you?", Lily asked.

"Nothing.", Regulus lied. "Reg.", Sirius sighed. "He- he got someone to slice into me.", Regulus admitted, covering his torso with his hand.

"Who?", Peter asked, his eyes blazing.

"Severus.", Regulus said, his eyes downcast. James looked at Lily, who looked angry.

"Come here, we'll fix you up.", was all she said, bringing out the first aid kit. "No, I'm fine, really.", Regulus winced. "You're so painfully like Sirius.", James grumbled, "Sit down.". Regulus obliged.

"What were you saying about Voldemort?", Sirius prodded. "I've been doing my research. I think I know what he's up to.", Regulus said, as Peter bandaged the cuts on his stomach.

"I just- I wanted to come and say.", Regulus took a shuddering breath. "I came to say goodbye. In case-".

"Don't say that.", Sirius said gruffly, looking at him, "You're not going. It's too dangerous.".

"I have to. I can't tell anyone because I'll put them and their families in danger."

"What about you?"

"I only have you, Sirius. You- you'd be fine without me.", Regulus said softly.

"How can- how can you even say that?", Sirius yelled angrily. "I spent fourteen years protecting you. Fourteen years, Reg. And you say I wouldn't miss you?", he shook his head angrily.

"It's not- That's not what I meant-", Regulus stuttered, looking to Remus and James for help. Lily opened her mouth to say something, but decided against it.

"What did you mean? Since I'm not a Black anymore, I can't miss you?", Sirius asked, his eyes flashing.

"I'm sorry.", Regulus said softly, looking up at Sirius. "For everything."

"Look at me.", Sirius said gruffly. Regulus looked at him, not saying anything. "I believe in you. If you think- if you think something's going to happen, use the mirror. I'll come get you. You will survive this, alright? And- if you can't come and see me, that's okay. Just talk to me once in a while. You're going to live. Try and- come here if you need anything.", Sirius said, wrapping his arms around Regulus, who stiffened.

"Our door is always open.", James nodded, putting a hand on Regulus. "Oh- Mother officially disowned you. I can't believe you sent that picture.", Regulus grumbled.

"What did you send?", Remus asked, a small smile on his face. "A picture of me and my boyfriend snogging.", Sirius smirked.

"Sirius!", James laughed. "She cut you off- I went into our vault at Gringotts and I stole a bunch of money-- just in case.", Regulus said, handing a heavy bag to him.

"Whoa."

"I know the Potters are rich, I just- wanted to give this to you just in case.", Regulus nodded.

"Be careful, okay?", Sirius said, putting an arm around him. "You too. Oh, and congratulations, James and Lily.", Regulus smiled, before closing the door.

stanley & kingsley's flat

Kingsley rocked the baby in his lap, cooing at him. "We need to name you, don't we?", he laughed, tickling him.

Aresha and Stanley walked into the room, smiling at him. "You and Stanley should go out tonight. Get some alone time. I'll take care of the baby.", Aresha said quietly.

"We can't-- Dumbledore.", Stanley stuttered.

"Fuck him. You can just pretend to be friends or some crap and then go get something to eat, make out in an alley or something", she waggled her eyebrows. Stanley blushed, looking at Kingsley.

"Are you sure you'll be fine with him by yourself?", Kingsley asked. "I'll be fine. It's one night.", Aresha said offhandedly.

Stanley and Kingsley looked at each other, their faces breaking into wide grins.