(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟖) the broken promise

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA SPENT THE REST OF MAY AT the Potter's. James maintained his smiles and polite conversations through his grief. Lily looked after the both of them even though she was hurting as well. Athena admired her strength in these times.

Fleamont and Euphemia had left the house to James in their will. In fact they'd left nearly everything to James. However he told the two girls that he wasn't sure he could live here anymore. This had been his parents house and everything reminded him of them.

Lily had always been wanting their own place not because she wanted to escape from the Potter mansion (which was of course a beautiful house) but because it signalled the next move in their life. Eventually it's better to let go and move on.

James didn't rush himself but by the end of May they had been eyeing a few properties in different magical towns. Lily claimed that her favourite was a gorgeous house in Godric's Hollow. They could definitely afford it with the fortune that James had been given so Athena assumed it would only be a matter of time before they bagged it.

Athena's life had been on a bit of a standstill since Paris. She still worked three days a week but spending so much time with a happy family had started to make her feel bitter over her own aspirations.

She hadn't seen Remus since the funeral and she wasn't complaining. His cold eyes did something to her that she never wanted to experience. Athena still had that wish of knowledge (as most Ravenclaw's do). She was going crazy without any explanation to this sudden new mood.

When Athena did sleep properly (which unsurprisingly was not very often) she would dream of them. It was start off nice, them on the moors or lying together in their bed with the sunlight grazing over their skin. However soon enough the dreams would turn dark and the worst part was that waking up provided her with no comfort.

Eventually she believed that she'd overstayed her welcome. Moorside cottage was her house not Remus' anyway so if anyone deserved to be there it was her. On the last day of May, Athena packed up her bag and told Lily and James that despite her gratitude of them letting her stay, she couldn't avoid her own home forever.

Athena wasn't sure how arriving at the cottage was going to go. She hadn't been since that day when Remus said the striking words claiming he thought she was crazy. The day she'd punched him, at the time she'd regretted it but now she wasn't so sure.

"If you're not ready there's no rush Rena, you know that" James smiled sadly, "I could come with you... in case he starts up again"

"Don't worry about it James" she smiled, "you've done enough for me... I need to sort this out and if that means simply ending it and kicking him out of my house then that's what I'll do"

James looked at her sympathetically, Athena may be joking her way through this but it was very evident in her eyes that she was having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that she may have lost Remus for good.