(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟕) drowning

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA OPENED HER EYES TO SEE THA THERE WAS SUNLIGHT shining through the hangings of her four poster bed. She hadn't slept yet her eyes had been closed long enough to ignore the sun rising over the hill.

One week back at the school had already passed and Athena didn't want to dwell on it. Her time felt like sand slipping through her fingers and sometimes she was grateful to stay awake just to hold onto something.

Today was a Wednesday, a dull day marking the middle of the week. Athena never liked Wednesdays. For some strange reason her favourite day had always been Monday, usually people turned their noses up at the first day of the week as it marked the beginning of work.

However, Athena liked school she always had. This meant she didn't care that she had to lift off from her relaxing weekend and shove her feet back into the papers and tribulations of work. In addition, her timetable had always been quite kind to her when it came to the early day.

Monday's were good but Wednesdays were the worst. Athena rolled her eyes, pressing the cold part of her hands to her head to ease the burning pain that had nested there. She was used to headaches, got them all the time which just came with being the opposite of well rested.

The weather was dull and bleak correlating with the day itself. Athena pulled back the hangings and sat on the edge of her bed as she stared at the other four posters still concealing their sleeping owners. Her watch was placed carefully on her bed side table and told the girl that she had two hours before the day started.

It was six o clock and lessons didn't start for three hours which meant that breakfast didn't start for one and a half. The marauders always ate at eight, mainly because Sirius and Peter couldn't get out of bed any earlier even if they tried.

Athena pondered just closing her eyes and imagining she was somewhere nice on holiday with her friends. Paris was the first place that sprung to mind, she'd always been intrigued by the Parisian aesthetic and architecture. Nevertheless every time she tried to focus her mind on one thing it would end up wandering somewhere else entirely. Usually by the time she tried to imagine her adventure to Paris, she'd see the Eiffel Tower on fire with her friends trapped inside. It was just how her mind worked.

With a regretful sigh, she pushed herself out of bed and walked on weary legs towards the bathroom. Sharing with three other girls wasn't as bad as Athena had imagined it would be when she first arrived at Hogwarts, each girl had a large toiletry bag which sat in a cupboard under the sink. Tessa's bag was overflowing with a multitude of skin care products dotted around the side.

Athena looked at herself in the mirror, patterned in finger prints and splashes of water from the sink below. She couldn't be bothered to do anything, it was as though she was having a staring contest with herself as she gazed at her appearance in the mirror. She wondered who would win before analysing the stupidity of that thought.