(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟎) meadows

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA OPENED HER EYES SLOWLY TO AVOID the burning pain in her head getting any worse. She must have hit her head when she fell because everything was spinning and she felt as though she could throw up.

Everything was a bit of a blur, everything hurt. Athena rolled over and winced as she leant against some shattered glass lining the street floor. Taking some deep breaths, she wished that the grey sky would stay in one place rather than flashing around her vision as though she were looking through a kaleidoscope.

There were snippets of the world in the wrong places as Athena tried to sit up. Dried blood caressed the side of her face and the space on her arm where she had been hit by a stinging jinx was looking worse than ever. The burn was now blistering over her forearm and she made a mental note to get some murlap essence for that.

Shards of glass had spiked her skin like knives but not deep enough to make any actual damage. Athena blinked a few times as she looked around. People were standing around sombrely however the death eaters had gone. Athena had no idea what had happened, she must have been stunned. She thought that she could remember the red light.

Turning to find Remus, she saw what her mind had been hiding from her.

"No!" Athena yelled as she scrambled to her feet and ran towards Dorcas lying on the floor. Sirius was sat beside her with her hand in his as he cried.

Athena collapsed on the floor, shaking Dorcas' shoulders as though expecting her to open her eyes. However she remembered now, remembered why she had been running and why her legs were aching. She recalled the flash of green light before Dorcas fell in a graceful curve to the floor.

Tears poured from her eyes as she rested her forehead against Dorcas'. Her heart was being ripped apart, she could be sick with the shock of it all as she cried against Dorcas' cold skin.

"Wake up" Athena whispered, "please wake up"

"Rena" Sirius murmured as he gently lifted her back off the body of her friend. Seeing Dorcas lying there was incredibly hard. Dorcas had been her friend for ten years, she'd been the first girl from Gryffindor to reach out to Rena.

Athena leant back against Sirius and felt him wrap his arms around her. She couldn't take her eyes off the body no matter how had she tried. They were stuck trying to believe that this had actually happened.

Another piece of Athena had shattered and she wasn't sure how many more she had. She understood how Dorcas mind was working after the death of Marlene because now Athena was questioning whether she could even go on. Was it worth winning the war if by the end everyone was gone? If by the end she'd lost the people she loved the goddamn most.

She broke into sobs as she buried her face in Sirius' chest. Sure her and Sirius hadn't been on the best terms as of late but none of this mattered any more. Nothing mattered anymore except the fact that Dorcas had been murdered by lord Voldemort. She'd been killed and he wasn't coming back.