(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟓) without him

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

THE HOUSE WAS EMPTY AND ATHENA WAS LOST. She kept expecting him to walk around the corner into the living room, she kept imagining when she opened her eyes in the morning that he'd be lying in front of her.

She missed his touch, she missed his smile, she missed his laugh and she missed his words. It had only been a week however it felt like the longest week to ever exist.

May had begun now, it wasn't welcome. The sun shone so bright and Athena relished staying inside often in the cold shower trying to rid herself of the sweat that had formed because of the summer weather.

It felt as though this year kept getting worse. 1980 had been a dread and she was sure that no year could get any worse than this. The beginning of May had been incredibly slow and incredibly hard to deal with.

Athena had found herself simply sitting in her thoughts. She'd been wearing Remus' clothes since he left, his scent still littered them even though it had disappeared from the pillows and sheets that she'd had to change. His clothes felt like the last piece of him, at least for now.

Him leaving felt so final even though he said he'd be back, he seemed so sure of it so why did Athena doubt this so much? She'd been trying to see the outcome of his mission in the crystal ball however whether her mind was too crowded or the sight wasn't interested in giving her any help because she saw absolutely nothing at all.

She'd tried to learn the bass so she could replicate the sound of his playing whenever she wanted. Athena missed coming home from work to hear him playing sweet melodies in the living room. However it turned out to be a lot harder than it looked and even after reading all of his books on it, Athena couldn't pick it up.

At night she'd close her eyes tight, pretending that he was right in front of her. It wasn't the same, of course it wasn't the same. Athena had never realised how attached she was to him, she wondered whether this was a cause for concern. Athena would have to know how to live without him, after the war they'd still be together but not all the time. That would be suffocating.

However she'd grown used to him being there all the time and now without his presence everything felt cold and unwelcome. So maybe Athena was obsessed, maybe she had become addicted but she supposed that was love.

Sometimes a break was needed, necessary. Sometimes two people couldn't stay under the same roof for too long without pissing each other off. Athena wished that this break was welcomed however it definitely wasn't. Athena and Remus merged well, sure they argued and they had difficult times but they managed and they always sorted it out. They were never angered for too long, a simple joke or sly comment would often break out laughter to end the bitter feelings.

What made everything worse was the knowledge of what Remus was actually doing. He was putting his life at risk for the order. Remus was with werewolves and although Athena didn't have prejudice feelings against them (because of Remus) she was sure that he was considered one of a kind.