4 Times The Avengers Helped Peter with Anxiety

Requested by @1020willy

Please comment and leave requests- I really love hearing from all of you! Also, I want to write what you want to read :)

Has Wattpad been glitching out for anyone? Yesterday it was really bad for me and I could hardly update my In-Laws chapter

... 

Peter's always been an anxious kid. When he was younger, he would start crying if clothes were too tight or uncomfortable, if his toy was misplaced or misused, and even when he had to leave his parents for school. 

As he got older, it stayed with him but changed a little bit. For awhile Tony thought he had Tourettes but it turned out just to be anxious tics. 

Whenever Peter gets especially anxious he has a subconscious desire to reach out and poke someone in the head or nose, sometimes he says "Bop," really loudly. The first time it happened, the Avengers were highly confused, but eventually, got over it. None of it bothered them, not even Bucky or Natasha. 

Other times it was more simple like randomly he will repeatedly shrug his shoulders or blink quickly.  In any case, Peter is grateful for his large family, they try to help him as much as they can. It always helps to give him a fidget spinner or fidget cube to use if it gets too bad. 

...

1) Tony

Peter was sitting on the counter next to his dad. Peter had an essay for English due in about 4 hours and still had to edit the entire thing. Of course, Tony volunteered to help him. 

Peter sighed dropping his head to the counter, "This is so bad. It's so bad not even the Tony Stark can fix it." 

Tony places a comforting hand on Peter's shoulder, "It's not bad, kid. We just need to edit it a little bit and then it will be perfect." Peter sighed again and lifted his head from the counter. He blinked several times really quickly before starting to read the introduction of his essay. 

Tony noted that as a tic right away. Tony gently rubs his hand over Peter's back and hums an AC/DC song quietly. For as long as Peter could remember, Tony always hummed under his breath, and every time it was soothing. 

Peter ran a hand down his face and blinked rapidly again before changing 'their' to 'there'.  Tony read the essay over Peter's shoulder and pointed out a couple of changes over the next few minutes. 

The essay didn't have to be very long, so editing went rather quickly. Especially with the two of them... and additional help from Jarvis. However, that didn't do much to ease Peter's worries when he had his mouse hovering over the submit button. 

Blink. Blink. Blink. Blink. Tony carefully adjusted in his seat so he is looking at the side of Peter, "Hey, buddy, it's alright. You did real good." Tony repeats his assurances, gently encouraging Peter to hit the submit button. After a few more deep breaths Peter finally clicks the button with a shaky breath. 

Tony reached to the opposite end of the counter grabbing a fidget cube from the basket and leading the kid over to the couch after handing it to him. "C'mon, it's movie time."

...

2) Bucky

Although Peter's anxiety tics occurred more often in anxiety-provoking situations. Sometimes though, it just happened. Ok, so maybe this situation was a little bit anxiety-provoking for Peter. 

Bucky just moved into the tower with Steve a little over a month ago. He mostly stayed by Steve but occasionally sat in the Avengers common room by himself. He still didn't talk much, but nobody pushed him on it too much. 

Peter walked into the almost empty commons room when he spotted the shiny metal arm. He hasn't talked to Bucky at all really except for a quick hello. The kid was usually nervous around people that he didn't know very well. Especially when it is James Buchanan Barnes sitting in his living room. 

When Peter entered, Bucky looked up from the remote he was holding in his hand, "Hello," he said plainly. 

Peter smiled a little, "H-hi. Umm... do you need... umm... help with the re-remote." 

Bucky didn't respond right away, carefully picking up on the kid's stuttering voice and his racing heart. He recognized it immediately as anxiety, Steve used to have it bad back in the day. Recently, Bucky's had his fair share of anxiety attacks as well, "Yeah, sure. That'd be great. Steve showed me how to use it a while ago but I already for got." 

Peter nodded and walked closer to the old man. He sat on the couch and reached out to take the remote from Bucky's hand. Before he registered what he was doing, Peter reached out and gently poked Bucky's nose and said, "Bop!" 

Bucky froze for a minute, quirking his eyebrow in confusion. After studying the boy for a moment he realized that it was an anxious tic. A small half-smirk was plastered across his face. Peter, on the other hand, was frozen to his seat in horror. His face is bright red and his eyes were blown wide. 

Bucky actually chuckled, "Don't worry about it, pal. Matter of fact, I used to help Stevie with anxiety all the time. And now the punk has to help me almost every day." 

"Really?" Peter said in a shocked voice, forgetting all about what had just happened. 

"'Course. Now, why don't you teach this old man how to use technology." 

...

3) Steve

It was a nice day out and Steve figured it was a perfect day to go get ice cream. After seeing Peter sprawled out on the couch watching TV, he figured it would be good to get the teen out of the house and he could also use some company. 

Before he left the house, however, he grabbed a fidget cube and slipped it in his pocket just in case. One thing Peter hated was big crowds, he wouldn't be surprised if the ice cream shop was packed because of the nice weather. 

The walk itself was very nice, it wasn't too hot where the boys starting sweating but it also wasn't too cold that they needed a jacket. The walk was about 15 minutes, so it didn't take the two of them very long. 

When they go there, however, the shop was bursting at the seams with people. Peter frowned deeply. Steve looked over just in time to notice the kid rapidly blinking. 

"It's a nice day out. I could use a longer walk. Do you want to go to that other one a few blocks down?" Steve suggested. Afterward, he slipped the fidget cube into Peter's hand and he nodded gratefully. 

The other ice cream shop was much more hidden, so it was hardly busy. The two superheroes sat on the deck of the ice cream shop and happily ate while laughing and talking. 

...

4) Natasha

20 years ago, if you would've told Natasha that she'd be like a mother to anyone, she would have laughed and then proceeded to snap your neck. But somehow, she is. And if you ask Peter, she is pretty damn good at it too. 

All of the Avengers sit in the updated conference room at SHIELD. They had a debriefing after the mission yesterday. It was not fun at all, especially if something didn't go as planned. Let's be real, when does anything ever go as planned for the Avengers. So, Peter sat in his chair gently swiveling back and forth. 

Though Natasha should've been paying attention to Fury's angry rant, she couldn't help but observe the kid. He was playing with a thread of his jeans and darting his eyes around the room. Cursing herself, she realized that Peter didn't have a fidget cube with him to keep his anxiety at bay during the meeting. 

She could practically see the kid trying to stop himself from reaching out to poke someone. So, being the good 'mother' that she is, she gently nudged Peter's arm and held out the hairband she had wrapped around her wrist. It wasn't as good as the fidget spinner, but at least it was something. 

Peter nodded gratefully and began stretching out and twisting the band. 

...

Which one is your favorite?? 

-EB