Field Trip Down Memory Lane

Requested by Snowii_SherXx

May doesn't know Peter is Spider-Man and such

...

"I-I don't want to go... Please," Peter whispers. 

Sam moves closer to the teen sitting on the couch. He sighs setting one hand on the boy's back and leaning over so he can see the side of his face. Peter's school decided it would be a fantastic idea to pay hommage to the fallen heroes and those who fought to save the world by going to the battle scene. After it was cleaned out and made safe again, they made the location of the former compound into a museum, a memorial. 

"I'm sorry, Peter. You would have to get a signature from Aunt May, which would be hard to explain without the truth getting out." 

Peter sniffles and drops his head into his hands, "I can't" he gasps, "can't do it." 

Sam rubs Peter's back and lets a silence fall over the room for a moment, "I know it is going to be hard, Peter. You have a right to not want to go. I also think it might help you, it might help you to accept what happened and keep moving forward." Peter is still in the grieving phase, not yet accepted. Who can blame him, though? He saw his father figure die brutally in front of him, that's not to mention reappearing on a battlefield after five years of being dust and fighting Thanos and his alien army. Anybody in their right mind would be a little messed up from that. 

Peter doesn't respond, Sam knows full well it's because he doesn't want to break down sobbing while he tries to talk. 

"I miss him, Sam. I miss her. I miss the compound, I miss Steve... I miss before," His voice breaks off and he can't stop the tears that start streaming down his face. He also can't stop the sob that escapes his mouth. 

Sam gathers the young boy into his arms and holds him like a baby. In the light of day, they would probably both deny it, but sometimes the best thing is human contact. 

"I'll tell you what, Bucky and I will be at the memorial. We can even wear disguises so if anything goes wrong we will be right there for you." In all honesty, Sam didn't want to go back himself and neither did Bucky, but they would do it in a heartbeat for Peter. 

After the final battle, everyone went off to do their own things. Thor is off with the Guardians, Wanda is off the map, Clint is with his family, T'Challa is back in Wakanda ruling his country, and Scott and Hope are with their family. Bucky, Sam, and Peter were thrown back into their own lives except without their mentors and friends. They don't have a new mission or much of a family to go back to. Yes, Peter loves May but he can't tell her anything, he can't tell her about his problems and about his tremendous sadness. They are forced to move on in a life that is exactly the same as before, just with a hole that was their loved ones. So, the hold onto each other, and they use each other to pick themselves up and move forward. Maybe going back will help them all do that. 

...

Bucky and Sam were sure to arrive at the memorial half an hour before Peter. This gave them time to go through their emotions before helping Peter overcome his. Walking through the battlefield was terrible. They could replay the fight in their heads, and it seemed like Thanos was back. They each shed a few tears but quickly wiped them away. They are here for Peter today. 

The two heroes lurk around the front of the museum as they see the bus pull up. They planned to follow behind the tour and keep their eyes on Peter the entire time. As the group of kids walked in, Sam adjusted his cap so it covers more of his eyes. Hopefully, nobody recognizes them. 

Since the fight, Bucky got his hair cut so he is almost unrecognizable, plus many are still confused about the entire Winter Soldier situation. Sam is Captain America now, so it is hard for him to go anywhere without being recognized.