Calculator

Peter is married to Harley, Mr. Parker-Keener 

BASED ON TRUE STORY (Not mine, just something someone told me)

...

Peter erased the whiteboard of yesterday's physics equation and began to write out the new schedule for the day. Today is a review day because they have a big test tomorrow. Because of that, he is going to start the day by going over major learning targets and questions from everyone. 

It's almost the last block, but he only teaches one physics class, the other two being chemistry, so he has to switch out the boards from yesterday. 

The familiar bell echoed through the room and within a minute people started filing in the classroom talking to their friends. A girl with short black hair walked in gripping her graphing calculator tight. 

Her name is Ivory, and for some reason, she always stands out to Peter. She is very smart, but never pays attention during class. She always just looks at that damn calculator. The bell rang again signaling the beginning of class and Peter quickly pushed away his curiosity and started to talk. 

As he was going over everything the students needed to know for the test Ivory never once looked up from her calculator. Peter shook it off though and started asking answering questions regarding the test tomorrow. 

Once he was finished, all of the students started to work on the review packet and Peter sat down at his desk, discretely turning on his phone to look at his texts from Harley. 

Harls: When will you be home?

Harls: I'm so bored.

Harls: Your dad is coming for supper, what do you want?

Harls: Can you please stop teaching for one second and answer me? 

Peter suppresses a chuckle and quickly responds to his needy husband and then slips his phone back into his pocket and starts to do teacherly things. 

...

The time goes slowly, but eventually, it is the end of the day. Just before the last bell rings Peter gets up to make some announcements, "Ok, test tomorrow, to qualify for corrections you must complete the review. Also, Ivory can you stay after class?" 

The girl finally snaps her head up and looks somewhat horrified, but everybody else is already packed up and crowded at the door. The bell rings and once everyone leaves, Peter begins to walk towards Ivory's desk. 

"What's so interesting on your calculator?" He asks setting his hand on the desk in front of hers and leaning against it slightly. 

"Oh... um..." She mutters and looks down. 

Peter sighs, "It's not that I'm mad, I just want to know why you aren't paying attention, and always looking at your calculator," he says calmly. 

Ivory blushes and looks down at the table, "Um... Ok fine... Well, Mr. Parker-Keener you see, I sorta have a girlfriend but we don't want to tell anybody because they'll make fun of us so we write notes on our graphing calculators and trade them after every class so we can still talk." 

Well shit. That's definitely not what he was expecting. After the shock wore off, Peter stood up and motioned for the young girl to follow him. He reaches into a drawer and pulls out a picture handing it to her. 

The picture is of a man with wavy hair and a small smile. She looks confused, "Who is this?" 

Peter smiles, "Harley Keener." 

Her eye widens and she looks from the picture to her teacher, "You're gay?" She says in a breath. 

"Yup. So are my parents, and my uncles. Oh yeah, and one of my best-friends is Lesbian. She got married last summer." Peter informs her taking the picture back and setting it on his desk. 

"Y-you're like me..." She says, still in shock, "Um... my parents aren't supportive." 

Peter frowns and immediately feels bad for the girl who just wants to love somebody who happens to also be a girl, "I'm really sorry. That's not right," Peter shakes his head and looks at the floor, "If you need anything I'll be here, ok? Also, do me a favor and don't talk about being Lesbian like it's a bad thing. It's not. It's just who you are and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, ok?" 

Ivory smiles, "Thank you Mr. Parker-Keener, I've got a date to catch so I better be going." 

"Have fun, see you tomorrow." She nods and walks out of the room. Peter can't help but feel sadness for the girl who feels like she has to hide who she is from the world. Peter grabs the picture of Harley from his desk and grabs a magnet from the whiteboard, hanging it up just by his desk for everyone to see. 

Peter grabbed his stuff and walked out of his classroom, barely being able to hold in his amazing, yet kind of sad story from the day. 

...

The next day in class, Peter had a burst of confidence and casually mentioned his husband. He could tell by the face of his students that they were surprised, but no one said anything. 

On the last day of school, Ivory didn't have her calculator but instead, she had a huge smile plastered on her face. After class, she walked up to Peter and said two simple words, "Thank you." 

Peter smiled back at her, "I'm proud of you, Ivory."