In-Laws: COVID Edition

Requested by anarinette

Peter isn't SpiderMan and is asthmatic 

... 

As far as a worldwide pandemic and shutdown go, the Starks are doing pretty well. They are fortunate to have enough money to get them through, as well as a lot of fun stuff to do around the tower. After the quarantine started, the Starks realized they have to stay 100% in isolation due to Tony's health issues and Peter's respiratory issues. 

It is still hard, but they've adapted well enough. Happy brings them groceries every other week and Peter is still able to face time with his friends. Lately, their favorite thing to do as a family is sitting on the roof and play board games. Sometimes they even just hang out and enjoy the air. If it is nice, they even bring dinner outside. 

They are all well aware of the fact that others are not so lucky. In efforts to help them, the power couple donated a lot of money to relief funds, vaccine research, and Tony started making YouTube videos every once in and while to try to brighten people's day a little bit. 

So, it's far from ideal, but they are managing all right. 

Peter is seated on the couch in between his parents, they are watching another episode of Schitt's Creek. They started it a few days after quarantine, and now, only a few weeks in, they are nearly halfway through the series. A knocking noise on the door startles the family. The only person who has been coming to their floor is Happy, but he always texts Tony first. 

Pepper and Tony share a confused glance and Peter quickly pauses the TV, "Hey, J, who is at the door?" 

"It appears that Mr. and Mrs. Potts are here as well as Ginger and her children. It seems that they are growing very impatient," He informs. If an AI could sound annoyed and hateful, he definitely did. 

"What are they doing here?" Pepper wonders aloud. Tony offers a shrug, but his jaw is clenched and he sets his hand on Peter's shoulder. Since the lockdown, the two families have hardly talked, they texted each other that they were ok but that is about all. 

Pepper stands up from the couch and walks towards the door, slowly opening. A small part of her hopes that Jarvis is just trying to play a mean trick on the family. Unfortunately, her parent's sister, brother-in-law, and thier children were standing in the doorway each carrying a large suitcase. 

Pepper takes a few steps away to try to maintain some sort of distance. With Tony's heart issues and Peter's respiratory issues, she doesn't want to risk anything. If one of them got COVID it could be life-threatening, "Hi everyone! Unfortunately, we don't feel comfortable getting together with anybody because of Tony and Peter's health conditions. We don't want to risk them getting sick." 

Mrs. Potts rolls her eyes and Ginger scoffs. Her dad is the one to speak up, "Really Pepper? Your not helping out your family because you might get a cold?" 

Tony joins Pepper by the door but stays a healthy six feet away, just to be safe. 

"With all due respect, sir, it's not just a cold. It could be really bad if either of us got COVID because of our health complications. But, after  this is all over we would love to have you all over for a get-together." Tony responds. If this one anyone else he definitely wouldn't have been as nice. Despite how he might feel about them, these are the only extended family between the two of them. 

"With all due respect," Mrs. Potts mocks stepping into the Stark's household, "we don't have COVID. And in any case, it's not like COVID is even that big of a deal. The media is totally blowing this out of proportion." 

Peter continuously flicks his eyes back and forth between his parents and the intruders. 

Tony and Pepper share a look, "If you would like, you might be able to stay on one of the other floors. If you test negative after the two-week quarantine period, we can maybe have a get-together. But only if you quarantine. We are unwilling to put my or Peter's well-being at risk."

Mrs. Potts turns to look at Pepper, "Where have your hospitality skills gone? If the three of you showed up at my door I would have welcomed you with opened arms not push you away!" She exclaims.

Pepper pinches the bridge of her nose, "We are offering you a place to stay. Normally, we would love to have you over but my family's health is important. We like to follow what science suggests which means that we will be staying in isolation until we don't have to." 

Ginger crosses her arms, "Ever since you decided to move to New York you've become such a bitch! Ever since you started working at Stark Industries you just assume you are better than everyone. And Tony? He is a terrible person, drugs, alcohol, one night stands! Are you sure Peter is even your kid, Pepper?" 

A shaky hand covers Peter's mouth as he stares at his Aunt in shock. Anger and hurt boil under his skin and he curls in on himself a little more. He isn't stupid, he knows that his dad made mistakes when he was younger but he made up for it. Not that it makes it right, but millions of people struggled through what Tony did. The only reason it's such a big deal is that he is famous. Something he didn't even ask for by the way. That's not even the point, though, he got over it. 

Pepper stares at her family with shock, she takes a few steps backward and gently places a hand on her husband's arm, "Tony?" 

Her heart shatters when she looks over to her son, his eyes are wide and glossy as if he is about to cry. 

"How dare you," Pepper's voice is sharp and filled with anger, "We have done nothing wrong to you. Ever. How dare you insult my husband, nonetheless in front of my son. You crossed a line, Ginger. We've been trying to be nice, to be accommodating, even when you don't deserve it," She snaps. After a brief pause realization dawns on her face and she actually has to refrain from laughing, "I know Peter is made kid because I carried him for nine months and gave birth to him. I would probably know if he wasn't." 

Despite everything, Tony can't help but crack a smile. How did a genius like Pepper come from a bunch of idiots like this family, "I think it's time for you to leave. Now." 

The Potts' back out of the room and Pepper can faintly hear her mom's voice, "Ginger if you are going to insult them make sure it actually makes sense." 

"Are you ok, Tony?" Pepper asks worriedly, giving him a quick hug. 

"Yeah, Pep, they aren't worth getting all bent out of shape about. I just can't believe they would say that in front of Peter." 

The couple looks over to thier son and moves to join him on the couch, "You ok, kid?" Tony questions setting a hand on his shoulder. 

Peter slowly nods, "Yeah... I- well they are my grandparents... I guess I never knew how mean they were." The look of dejection on his face makes Pepper want to follow her family out of that door and beat them up. But she doesn't, they are lucky that it's in the middle of a pandemic and she can't. 

"Come here, sweetheart," Pepper says gently, pulling her son closer, "I'm sorry." 

Peter just nods, "Can we keep watching Shitt's Creek?" 

Tony and Pepper chuckle bud nod anyways. 

On the screen, David exclaims, "What kind of barnyard were you raise in?"

Tony would be lying if he didn't automatically think that about Mr. and Mrs. Potts.