We're Not the Same

Go check out my new story Plums of Peace. It is about Bucky moving to a farm in Wisconsin to recover. Steve will be involved eventually but not at first!

......

Peter is not the same as his other classmates. Of course, there is the fact that he is Spider-Man and personally knows Mr. Stark, but those reasons are mostly superficial. Most of the other kids that go to Midtown School of Science and Technology are paying thousands of dollars for the year. They live in the suburbs with white picket fences around their house and parents with fancy jobs. 

Peter is one of the few kids in school that lived in the city. Before he was Spider-Man, he would listen to the crime happening outside his rundown house and hope no one died. Peter didn't like it, but it was hard to patrol, so he mostly patrolled outside of his neighborhood. Most of it was gang violence and Peter found out the hard way that it is better to stay out of that.  

Peter has never met his dad, he left after he knocked up Peter's mom. Mary, his mom, left before Peter started high school. She could never hold onto a job and spent the money she did make on crack. For all Peter knows, she could have overdosed in the sketchy motel she always hooked up with guys in. Truthfully, her leaving was a relief. She was hardly ever around, and when she was, she screamed at Peter or passed out from whatever the hell she was on. Or both. 

Peter's not alone though. He has his older brother, Harley. Mostly, he feels guilty. Harley was forced to be an adult since he was a small kid, he practically raised Peter himself. Not to mention the hours he worked and everything he gave up so Peter could have a somewhat normal life. If it wasn't for Harley, Peter probably wouldn't have gotten a full-ride scholarship to Midtown. 

The day Harley turned 18, Harley marched down to the courtroom with an official document signed by his mom. Harley is his younger brother's legal guardian. Peter couldn't be happier, but also couldn't stop worrying about how much money that cost. They hardly have enough money to buy groceries and pay rent the way it is. 

Peter's lived in the same house his entire life. It has two rooms, which Harley and Peter share. After their mom left, neither was brave enough to go through their mom's room in fear of what they would find. They have a really small kitchen. The appliances are old and don't work well, but it's a kitchen. They have a small TV and a ratty couch they hauled from off the street. They have a small bathroom, probably smaller than most of his classmate's closets. But, at least they have a bathroom. The paint is peeling on the inside and out. After someone broke their window they had to board them up. They have a tree out front but even that seems to be sad. At least they aren't out on the streets. Harley had done everything in his power to keep the house, he was determined to keep his brother off of the violent streets. 

He skipped college so he could provide for Peter. 

...

Peter loves school, he also loves decathlon. It does get old, sometimes. Listening to all the complaining about parents, and stupid drama. Nobody in this school will ever relate to Peter, and he accepted that. It didn't make it any less frustrating. 

The kid felt a little bad when he was with Ned, though. Peter has been to his house a few times and it was nice. He can see Ned's restraint from complaining about his parents or something that had happened earlier. 

It's the little things, like when Peter is sitting at the decathlon and they are talking about their moms and dads. Peter doesn't have either. What really gets him is their ability to be so naive. They think they know what the real world is like, but they most certainly do not. Their parents practically spoon-feed them.  Also, when they talked about how they spent 200 dollars at the mall.