Tough Love (AKA Just Being Mean)

Requested by imfxckinglovely

...

Ever since Peter joined the Avengers, things started to look up. Before, he was so scared that he'd hurt anybody he tried to distance himself from everyone around him. With the Avengers, he was still nervous he'd mess up on a mission and get one of them hurt but overall felt more comfortable around them because they are capable of protecting themselves. 

At first, everything just worked. The Avengers were nice to him, they sometimes even trained together. All of a sudden, everything seemed to flip upside down. One morning a few weeks ago he was just going about his normal routine when Sam came up behind him. 

"Hey, want to train with us later today? You could use a little practice," Sam said with a small smile as he walked straight past Peter and into the elevator. Peter quickly shrugged it off as Sam being Sam. It isn't uncommon for them to joke around with each other. 

That got much harder to believe when he got down to training. The Avengers were relentless. They all have models of weapons where it is only a small sting so they know if they got hit and can try to avoid it next time. They almost always use the lowest pain weapons so nobody gets hurt. The Avengers started with 'every man for himself' basically they all just fought everybody. 

Except for this time it was as if everybody teamed up on Peter. Tony hit him with a repulser, but instead of the small sting like usually, it was harsh and painful. It was probably as painful as it could be without actually harming him. Clint shows his arrows at him while Steve and Nat engage him in a sparring match. 

He managed to keep up for about half an hour but then it all became too much, it was harder to dodge the weapons being shot at him as well as fight Nat and Steve, "Ok, ok, you win!" He exclaims throwing his arms up in the air and making thier end fight signal. 

Nat just shakes her head and throws a punch to his stomach, "If this was real you couldn't give up. The moment you give up someone dies." 

The rest of the training didn't get better, after they decided to be done with the practice they turned to individual sparring. Usually, they pull thier punches a little bit so no one got hurt, but that wasn't true this time. 

Confusion, anger, and hurt swirled in Peter's stomach. It's almost like they actually wanted to hurt him. After a few more drills Peter announced he had some homework to do and he would have to stop training from the day. 

"Peter, if you don't get better your not going to be able to save anyone. You need this practice more than any of us, weak link," Tony commented. Peter stared at him in shock, and then at the others for not helping him out. Steve is the only one who looked like he felt a little bad. And that's only if you look real closely. 

"Uh-yeah, ok."

That day he trained for eight hours. They had a small lunch break and a few drink breaks but that was it. That night he practically fell into bed and told Jarvis not to wake him up until noon. 

The next morning he was awoken by cold water being dumped right on his face. He shot up in bed gasping and shivering. The whole time the only thing he could think about was almost drowning in the lake. After he finally got to his senses, he saw Clint and Tony standing in front of his be with serious looks on thier faces. They obviously weren't pulling a prank on him. 

"What time is it?"

"5 O'clock. Time to start training." 

...

From that day it only got worse. The Avengers would constantly pick on him for being week or fragile. They would even question his spot as an Avenger sometimes. Thier was no joke in thier expressions or voice, just seriousness. At night Peter couldn't fall asleep, the voices of what used to be his idols repeat in his head over and over again.