To be a Dad

Peter and MJ have been dating since they were sixteen and are now 18 years old, but the the snap happened. Peter was dusted right after Senior year, and MJ continued to live for five painful years. Ned had also snapped, leaving MJ with nobody. 

May died when Peter was 14 so he was adopted by Tony. 

...

Dad.  Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. 

I stumble through the school trying to find someone I know. Multiple sanctuaries have been set up around the city for those returning from the snap to be reunited with the ones they love the most. 

I see bodies hugging all around me, parents holding their children, people holding their spouses. Others sitting alone, fear across their faces. I was one of those people. My dad is already dead. I need to find MJ. I need to know she is alive.  Tears stream down my face and I feel an arm placed on my shoulder. 

I whip my head around to see an older lady standing behind me, "Do you need help looking for someone, son?" 

I nod quickly trying to stop crying long enough so I can talk, "Mi-Michelle Jo-Jones," I gasp. I squeeze my eyes together and try to stop the sobs. I feel like I am going to throw up, my heart is broken and my stomach is churning. My dad is dead. I need MJ. I need to know she is still breathing. 

The lady's face lit up with recognition and my heart seemed to stop, "She moved to Manhatten awhile ago." My eyes widen and I turn around, pushing past different bodies. I don't have my phone on me. I just changed into some clothes that Steve gave me. 

They were his so they hang loosely around my body making me feel even smaller and even weaker. Too weak to save my dad. Then, I came right here. 

I push open the school doors and see a telephone booth still intact. I push through a crowd waiting around it and here a few gasps and protests but I don't really care. I don't even hesitate. Once I get to the phone I realize I don't have any money, I dig around in my pockets but nothing is there. 

"Here you go," Someone from behind me says holding out some cents. 

"Thank you, thank you so much," I say trying to wipe the tears away. With shaky hands, I slip the coins into the slot and dial the familiar number. 

"Hello?" A voice says after the first ring. Her voice seems tired and softer from before, not as harsh, almost as if she has given up all hope. 

"M-MJ?" I ask in between sobs. 

"Peter? Oh my gosh is it you? Where are you? What happened?" She rambles, just like the time she found out I was Spier-Man. 

"Dad... Tony... He's- he's d-dead MJ," I fall against the wall of the booth trying to stop the sobbing. 

The line goes silent for a moment, "Where are you, I'm coming," Her voice is mostly calm but I can hear her trying to hold in tears. 

"B-by the school," 

"Hang tight. I love you so much, loser," She whispers. 

"Love you too," I say through sniffles. I hang up the phone and walk back to the school, collapsing on the front steps and sobbing into my hands. 

Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. Please come back. I beg you. 

I'm not really sure who I'm begging, maybe I'm begging God to bring him back, that is if there is one. Or maybe I'm praying this whole thing is just a dream. A really awful dream. 

I don't know how long passes but I hear footsteps walking up the stairs. "Pe-Peter?" My head shoots up but I don't move. Her hair is a little shorter than before, and her face is tear-stained. She has worry lines on her forehead and her eyes are more mature.