Steve Helps Peter (Or Peter Helps Steve)

I had to fudge some things because I couldn't find the dates and timelines and some of the ones I did find were not the answers that I was hoping for. 

Sorry for not updating in a while. 

Peter is 14 and Tony's biological son :)

Steve got out of ice three weeks ago. 

...

Tony is a mess. For the past twenty minutes, he has been pacing the length of the Avengers commons room. His brow is creased and a thin layer of sweat collects on it. 

"Goddamn field trip," he mutters under his breath. The rest of the Avengers are just as worried. They sit in silence, fidgeting with their hand or shifting uncomfortably. Peter was bitten by a spider and now he has superpowers, the kid is only 14 years old. 

The room of heroes couldn't be more terrified, sure they all have abilities and skills of their own but they also know how dangerous it is. They live their life jumping from fight to fight, knowing damn well any day could be their last. The thought of Peter joining that life is more frightening to them than dying themselves. 

Tony finally got the kid to fall asleep, he'd worked himself into a panic several times. First, it was the enhanced scenes, next it was his super strength, and then it was the ability to stick and climb. He freaked out. Tony made it abundantly clear that nobody is allowed to disturb him. 

The tension in the room lays heavy and the silence stretches on. Steve sits in the corner of the couch, his eyes fixed in front of him.

Contrary to the others, he is not a nervous wreck. He is despondant. Nobody really notices, being too focused on the matter at hand. 

The room is so still, that everyone snaps around to look at Steve as he raises his head and resettles on the couch. His eyes are wide and suspiciously glassy, which surprises the others. Sure, he likes Peter but he has only known the kid for two weeks. 

"What do you want old man?" Tony barks out stopping mid-step and turning straight to the Captain. 

If anybody notices the slight flinch in Steve's shoulder or the clench in his jaw, they ignore it. "Please let me talk to him. I can help." 

Out of all the things that could come out of his mouth, that surprised almost everyone in the room. "Help?" Tony repeats cautiously, "Peter does not need one of your patriotic lectures about standing up to bullies or morals. Steve, do you not understand what just happened to my son? This could get him killed, make him a target!" Tony's voice is steadily getting louder and the rage rolls off of him in waves, "You're just an old man who knows nothing about me or Peter, so stop acting as you do just because my dad shot you up on drugs and made you a hero!" 

Clint opens his mouth to say something but Steve swiftly pulls himself up from the couch, facing the younger Stark head-on.

"You think you've got me all figured out, don't you? First of all, don't you dare call me old man," Steve's voice is quiet, quieter than any of them had ever heard. It is unnerving, "I was frozen, Stark, I didn't age I didn't gain a lifetime of experience or wisdom. I froze when I was 24 years old and woke up when I was 24 years old, just 70 years into the future." 

Natasha visibly swallows and looks to Tony to say something. For the first time, he doesn't. The silence is an invitation for Steve to continue. 

"You really don't get it, do you?"

"I don't have any time for your pity party! Boohoo for you, I've got bigger issues on my hand. I thought you were supposed to be selfless?" 

"For being smart your really fucking dense. For me, the war was three weeks ago. I've only been a functioning human for three months with the serum. Sometimes, I wake up and think I'm six inches shorter and 70lbs lighter! I was made to destroy things, that's all I've ever done with this body... in the 40s and when I woke up. The other day at the store, I picked up a jar and completely shattered the entire thing because I forgot I am strong. I don't know how to live with them yet, Tony," Steve takes a deep breath and clenches his fists. Tony's brows furrow, "I understand what Peter is going through, I know what it is like to all of a sudden be strong. I know what it is like to hear things from a block away. I know how fucking hard it is to try and do normal things! I understand what he is going through and I want to help him because nobody was able to help me. I want to help him because it is one of the worst feelings in the world."

Tony's shoulders slump and he breaks eye contact. Steve all of a sudden looks young, younger than anybody in the room. His shoulders cave in slightly and his eyes look scared, devastated almost. 

"Fine," is all Tony says before storming out of the room. 

With a sigh, Steve walks on shaky legs to the elevator. The Avengers remain silent long after he leaves the room. Of course, they knew everything he told them, they just never realized it. Steve has only been a functioning person for 24 years, it's like the universe just hit pause on his life and then play 70 years later when it needed him to fight another battle. 

...

"Hey, Peter? Can I talk to you?"

Peter nods, his eyes are red and puffy. 

"I'm assuming you heard everything I said, with your new and improved hearing?" Steve quips with a small smile on his face. He made sure to whisper because to Peter it will sound like yelling. 

Peter nods and looks down to his feet. After a moment he opens his mouth, "I-It's all so much. I can hear everything, and it is so bright all the time and-and, I feel like I'm going to break everything I touch. I want it to go away, please," Peter lets out a small sob before shoving his face into his knees that rest against his chest. 

"Sensory overload, I know. One of the first things I heard with my new hearing was gunshots and an explosion. It just about rattled me out of my skin. Just focus, focus on me, this conversation. That ought to help a little bit." 

Peter nods, then make eye contact with the Captain once more, "What am I supposed to do?"

Steve smiles sadly, "I haven't gotten that far myself, kid. I was shot up with the serum and then had a war to fight, had a reason to have strength. After these past few weeks, I realized nobody needs to be that strong on a daily. To be honest I'm still figuring it all out."

Peter tilts his head to the side, "I-I'm just scared I'm accidentally going to break something. Or destroy it the moment I touch it." 

Steve gently reaches out his hand and pulls Peter in a hug, "I have super strength too, pal, you can't destroy me so easily." 

Peter let's out a laugh at that but hugs back nonetheless. "Let's make a deal, we help each other figure out our powers and strength?"

Peter nods into Steve's shoulder. 

...

After months of accidentally breaking and denting things, sensory overloads, and panic the two managed to get a little bit more control over themselves and their bodies. 

Peter begins to feel more comfortable and confident, while Steve manages to feel like a person instead of a weapon. Just like a few months ago when he was a skinny kid from Brooklyn with every disease known to man.