Chapter 5

I arrived at my office and went to Charles's table.

"Here are the contracts, Sir Charles." I placed the contracts on his table.

"Alright."

I turned my back on him to go to my table but I suddenly remembered that I need to ask permission to clock out early.

As I was about to face him, we both uttered each other's name.

"Sir Charles" | "Athena"

We both paused shortly and I faced him fully.

"Y-you go first." He stuttered.

"Can I clock out early?" I directly said this to him.

I can see his forehead connecting bridges already. He must be mad at me again.

"It's not even 5pm. Why do you even want to clock out early?"

I paused. I realized that I can't just say I have dinner plans with some acquaintance! He'll definitely will not allow me to go early with this reason! I don't want to be scolded twice for today!

"Uhm. My mother texted me saying she took my pet cat at the vet because my cat ate something bad and vomited."

The formed bridges on his forehead, the frown, drifted apart but he raised an eyebrow.

"Really?" He seemed doubtful from what I said.

What now?! What should I do? He doesn't seem to buy my excuse. I can't keep Conrad waiting as I've already made inconveniences to Conrad.

No choice but I have to act out!

"I really need to go! I'm so worried about my cat. He's my best pal! He's my everything!"

I expressed an exaggerated "worried" look to make my claim believable.

I'm disgusted with myself! I really did act out! I'm so desperate to go now and I want to get away from this person.

His seemed surprised. He then suddenly swiveled himself to face the other way around. I can only see the back of his chair and head.

I bet I looked awkward and he's disgusted with me. He doesn't want to show his disgusted face. He's just being considerate, for sure.

"You can go." As usual, his voice is strict as usual. He also raised his arm sideways and bent his elbow at a 90° angle indicating I can shoo away.

Gosh, it's a miracle! I can go now!

I went to my desk and fixed my things. While fixing my things, I told that I'm clocking out early.

"Why are you clocking out early?" Reese asked.

I looked around us to see if there are people nearby that might listen to us. As there are no people nearby, I whispered to Reese the reason.

"What?! " Reese was surprised. I pulled her sleeve downwards so that she could keep her voice down.

"So the man you met during lunch is our new endorser? What a coincidence. Go now and don't make him wait." Reese whispered back with this.

I placed my shoulder bag at my left shoulder then suddenly Reese grabbed my wrist. I looked at her then I saw she shrugged her eyebrows twice and gave me a naughty smile.

"You just opened an opportunity to know guys."

"Hey, don't interpret it like that! I just need to repay him from what I did. You're the who urged me to repay him. I'm not seeking relationships that is more than friends, you know."