Chapter 55

What am I thinking?! Asking him as if he still likes me is such an absurd question!

Am I hoping to accept me even if I have already rejected him?

Gosh... What's wrong with me...

Today's a meeting with the whole department as sir Mark will announce sending two people to Japan next week for three months.

That's quite exciting! I haven't been there. It was my dream going there once when I was a child.

We're now in the meeting room and sir Mark explained the purpose of the business trip then he announced that Charles is one that will go to Japan.

Lucky for him, though I wouldn't see him for three months. I'm kind of relieved but at the same time I suddenly felt empty.

"The other person that will accompany Charles will be..."

Zilly would be definitely over the moon if she will be chosen. Look at her sparkly and hopeful face. It looks like she's expecting.

"Athena Barling."

I suddenly got nervous and surprised when I heard sir Mark announced my name.

I looked at Charles and he looked surprised at sir Mark's announcement.

"I thought Henry would come with me?" Charles said this as if he is really confused.

"It was decided on a last minute. Henry got a very important negotiations with the company tied with ours so he can't be the one going with you." Sir Mark said.

Henry regrettably said that it was a bummer that he won't be able to go.

Zilly suddenly voiced out her concern that she should be the best choice to go with Charles as she lowkey justified that she is better handling the job than me. How insulting.

"No. Athena would be best. I think you're just using a personal reason on why you wanted to go instead of Athena." Sir Mark strictly said this to Zilly.

Zilly looked defeated.

Our meeting has ended and we returned to our respective workspaces.

"Wow, lucky you. Going to Japan for three months is amazing!" Reese said this excitedly.

"Y-yeah."

Reese asked me why I looked reluctant.

"Oh I get it." Reese then whispered to me and said the reason why I looked reluctant.

"It's about Charles coming with you, right?"

She's right. I'm just worried because I'll be going with him alone in a foreign country and it will be super awkward knowing what happened to us.

A job is a job. I just can't say I don't want to come with him because of personal reasons.

Looking at the bright side, I might be able to move on with Lucas with the three months I'm away. New environment meets new life. I'm ready for it.

.
.
.
.
.
.

I came across with the bamboo pen again that is placed inside my bag when I tried to get my wallet inside my bag. I was planning to grab a drink at the vending machine, that's why.

When I took out the bamboo pen from my bag, I stared at it and felt a heavy and painful feeling just emerged from my chest.

I tightly clenched my hand that was holding the pen, stood up from my chair and went out from the office.

I went to the place where we could throw our trash near my office. I stood infront of the trash cans.

When I was about to throw the pen to the trashcan, my hand seemed to be shaking and it won't let the pen go from my hand.