Chapter 15

We didn't talk inside the car after he gave me tissues to wipe off my tears.

I'm breathing in a labored manner right now. The pain is still excruciating.

We have arrived at the ER of a nearby hospital. Charles went out of the car and called the attention of the nurse in the ER. The nurse then grabbed a wheelchair and went near the door of the passenger seat.

I opened the door and was about to bring out my legs but Charles suddenly carried me out of the car. He put me on the wheelchair and the nurse started to push me inside.

The nurse got my vital signs, medical history and my chief complaint.

I explained what happened to me then the nurse removed the bandage on my right ankle.

As the male nurse removed my bandage, I saw my ankle is so inflamed and swollen. I'm so scared right now if I broke any structures on my ankle joint.

The nurse tried to palpate my injury and asked if its really painful. I started crying again and I said that it is extremely painful. He's now putting first aid at my ankle joint.

"Hey, don't cry. You look unsightly." Charles said.

I just gave him an angry stare and then I returned looking at my injury.

The nurse tried to cheer me up and made a joke by saying "Your brother here didn't want you to look in pain so don't stare at him like that."

I quickly denied that he's not my brother. The nurse chuckled and apologized for mistaking him as my brother.

How insulting.

"I'm just her coworker. We don't even look alike." Charles said.

"Then you're his girlfriend?" This nurse curiously asked.

"What? No!" I strongly denied the nurse's claim.

Another nurse called the nurse that is currently attending me and said that the X-ray room is ready for use.

"Let's go to the X-ray room, Ms. Barling." Said the nurse.

They took an X-ray of my right foot then they took me to the MRI room for the MRI scan. I was told to wait for the doctor to come to interpret the results of the X-ray and the MRI.

While waiting in the waiting area, Charles stood beside me and called my first name.

As I heard that, I'm so disgusted. It's better if he calls my last name than my first name!

"What is it?" I said.

"Heathrow said that your injury before you fell down this afternoon was because you twisted your ankle when you missed your footing on the step ladder when we're in the storage room." He said.

I didn't answer him immediately. His scary voice flashed back into my mind about the time when we're in the storage room earlier.

"It's my fault that I fell down. I'm thankful that you caught me in time." I said.

"I keep on repeating this but why didn't you say anything? You were injured back there and you should have asked for help." He said.

I sighed and said "It was tolerable and the injury is nothing major."

He faced me up front and he frowned at me. "If its really nothing major then where were you exactly when you left me in the storage room? You did not return immediately to the office."

I defensively said "My stomach went bad. Didn't I tell you that?" to Charles that is getting mad at me right now.

"Don't you dare lie to me. I clearly heard you crying and sniffing faintly in the storage room. You went immediately to the comfort room then towards to the nurse's office, didn't you?