Chapter 77

Conrad is such a great comforter.

I thanked him for hearing me out and for giving me comfort just like he did before.

I wiped my tears and snot using tissues then I used my hands as a fan to cool my eyes.

"Do you want to eat your sorrows away? It will be my treat. I'll spoil you 'till you are satisfied." He said.

I chuckled and said no thanks. I told him that it would be nice but I don't have the mood yet to do that.

Conrad suddenly panicked and apologized for not thinking my feelings.

"It's okay. I appreciate the thought." I said.

He's so nice... I should be thankful for him.

Oh, it will be my birthday this weekend. I should treat Conrad for being nice with me on my birthday.

"Conrad, do you have work on Saturday?" I asked.

"Saturday? I don't have any scheduled work up until Sunday. Finally, I could rest." He said.

Oh no, that's his deserving rest day after being so busy with his work!

"What about it?" He asked.

"... I was wondering if Maya and you could go with me at the ski resort...

However, Conrad looked reluctant.

"You don't want to?" I asked. I suddenly got worried from his reaction.

"No, it's just that I'm concerned if it would be alright for me to come. Your parents might even tell you that hanging around with some guy right after a break up is kind of a rash move."

I immediately told him that it's totally fine.

"I just want to celebrate my birthday with you guys. For now, I just want to treat you guys for being nice to me. Unwinding is also my goal in going to that ski resort, nothing else."

He suddenly looked surprised and can't believe that my birthday will be on Saturday.

"I never knew! Your birthday is just a few days away! Why didn't I know your birthday?" He was brooding over the fact that he doesn't know my birthday.

"I was about to invite Charles but we've broken up. I hope you won't misunderstand that I am not asking you to be a replacement. I just want to enjoy my birthday without worrying anything and to have good company. Think of my invitation as my thanks for being so kind to me."

Conrad understood my intentions.

"We'll go, Maya would definitely be excited. I hope you will enjoy your 26th birthday on Saturday. We'll be looking forward with it." He said.

I smiled and thanked him.

"Now I got something to look forward this week. Though it's hard to work comfortably with Charles since we are in the same department..."

"During my breakup with my ex, it was tough to see her around the campus. We even both have some the same classes. By time, you will eventually get used to it."

"Yeah, I do hope I could function well at work."

Conrad and I settled things up and I saw him out to the parking lot where his van is parked.

"We'll contact you soon if there is any next activities for Conrad." I said this to Naoya.

"Thank you. Oh, and Conrad will be off this weekend. Take the opportunity to relax with him. He's also tired from continuous work."

"I'm inviting him for an overnight stay at a ski resort with his sister." I said.

Naoya looked delighted and told me that I did the right thing to have a short vacation to alleviate what distresses me.