Paranoia and isolation

Chapter 70 

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

9:05 am

(Ivan's POV)

I look up at Goldie as I lay a poster on the ground. I look down at my gloves then back up at Goldie. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to pay you back for the prosthetics?" She shook her head.

"It's fine, I'll paid for it, you don't have to worry about the cost." I take out five ten dollar bills and held it up to Goldie's face.

"At least let me pay for the gloves." She shook her head once again. She held up her hand and gently lowered down my hand.

"The gloves were fifteen dollars, you don't have to pay me back." I put  the money back into my Inventory confused. I know these prosthetics weren't cheap, even if it was just the fingers it has to be worth a lot. 

"Why don't you want the money?" Goldie bent down until she was around my height.

"Money means nothing to me, to me its just paper."

"But you have a job don't you? If you didn't care about money, why are you working. You can just leave. Go back into woods, do what ever foxes do."

"I work, because I have people I care about. I don't want them to lose or waste money when they have other things to worry about. I might not know why they need money, but I give them money because I care about them. You're one of those people." She stared deeply into my eyes as she waited for a response. I turn around and stare down at the poster. I felt Goldie's eyes stare at the back of my head. 

"I-um, got to go." I felt Goldie stand back up and walk towards the door. I step onto the poster and snap my fingers. I quickly find myself in a forest. In the distance I saw the camp, the camp that didn't make me any money, the camp where I'm forced to hide to be nice to everyone. I sigh as I bend down and pick up the poster. I put the poster back into my Inventory and look over the camp. Hopefully Nuxiel will pay me soon. I sigh as I start to make my way back to the camp. 

I stared up at the fake sun overlooking the camp, I put my hand up to block the sun light from hitting my face before putting it back down. I stop walking and look down at my gloves. I thought back to Goldie, to what she said about caring about me. I just... couldn't understand how she could care for me. I've done nothing for her, when we first met I killed her. If I was her, I would hate me. She's done so much, cook for me, pay me stuff, buys me gifts when I don't need them. I'm not sure why she would care for me. She even got a job to pay for stuff whenever I wanted or needed something. She's getting nothing out of taking care of me. My eyes widen as thoughts flooded my mind. What if she needs me in the future? She could just be gaining my trust so she could tell me what to do. She could be just like Dominique, gaining my trust only to throw me away when I'm causing problems. My legs felt weak the more I thought about what her motives could be. I sat down onto the dirt and slumped over. She isn't using me for anything right now though, with Dominique he told me what to do from the very beginning. Goldie... Goldie doesn't really tell me what to do. The only thing she wants me to do is to not kill innocent people. And I even agree with her on that, its a reasonable request even if she doesn't get anything out of it. I stared down at the ground silently for a few minutes before getting back up. 

I wipe the dirt off my pants and make my way towards my cabin again. I looked down at the ground as I walked in silence. I walked past Coach's cabin and made my way down the hill. The crunching of the dirt beneath my feet was all I focused on during my walk. I heard a second pair of footsteps come from right in front of me. I look up to see someone slowly rolling a wheel burrow up the hill with bags of dirt and big white bottles of pesticides towering over the person. I couldn't even see who was rolling the wheel burrow. I look away from the person and resume my walk down the hill. As the person passed I took a  quick glance at the person. I chuckled at the sight of Alice drenched in sweat with her arms shaking from carrying all that weight. Alice looked in the corner of her eye with a look of desperation. She took shallow breaths as she struggled to go up the hill. I stopped my walk and stared in amusement. I smiled as the burrow began to tilt to Alice's side. A bottle of of pesticide began to slide off the pile of bags. Alice quickly took her right hand off the handle of the burrow and caught the bottle as it fell. I felt my lips form a huge grin as the burrow fell to the side. Alice gasped as everything started to slide down the hill. I couldn't help but let out a loud laugh.