Greed

Chapter 36

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

8:15 am

(Ivan's POV)

My body jolted awake from the sound of violent coughing. My back and shoulder ached as I looked around. I see Alice's body hunch over on the ground as her coughing increasingly became more violent. The coughing suddenly stopped, I could hear her wheezing. 

"You okay?" I hesitantly asked.

"No." Alice said in a raspy voice. She pointed to a bag near the door. "Bag please." Usually I would let her get it herself, but she doesn't so good right now. I don't even know if she could get up. I grudgingly get up and walk over to the bag. I doubt whatever is in this bag will help. I give her the bag, she slowly dug through her bag and pulled out a glass bottle. I notice dark rings around her eyes, she looked miserable. She unscrewed the cap and took a quick sip and screwed the cap again. She coughed weakly and unscrewed the cap to take another sip. The dark rings under her eyes faded slightly, she looked just a tiny bit better. She still looked awful.

"You okay now?" She nodded weakly with her eyes closed.

"Just sleepy." She rested her head on the ground and instantly went back to sleepy. I look around not knowing what to do. I walk over to the rug in the corner and sit down. I pull my slime and start playing around with it. It didn't take long for Michael to wake up with a yawn. He looked in my direction and blinked stupidly. "How long have we been here?"

"Overnight."

"I meant in Chicago." My eyes widen as I realize that we barely have enough time to find the person.

"Thr-three days." Michael rolled his eyes and groaned. "Let's just start early." I nod as Michael got up, and walked over to Alice just to shake her. 

"Noooo." Alice groaned as Michael turned Alice's body onto her back.

"Get up."

"No." Alice said in a weak voice as she opened her eyes and sat right up. She sniffed and wiped the bottom of her nose. "I honestly don't feel so good can I just rest for a few more minutes, maybe an hour? Maybe the rest of the day?"

 I notice the duck I got for by her side. She slept with that thing? I put my slime in my Inventory and got up. I kind of wish I can take a shower right now. I stretch as Michael shook his head. Now I remember why no one should sleep on the ground, it's so dirty. Really makes you sore too.

"We have to go, we barely have the day left." A look of surprise appeared on Alice's face.

"Really! We've been here for that long?" Michael nodded. 

"Yeah, we have to go." Why was Michael so focused now? Just yesterday he wanted we wasted time playing around in the snow. 

"Didn't we waste time yesterday playing in the snow? Why do you want to do it so badly now?" Michael looked at me with a look of guilt on his face.

"I just don't want to fail."

"Why?"

"I just don't want to." I roll my eyes as Alice wobbly got up. Snot dripped down her nose. She hugged herself and shivered. I shake my head at Michael's response. That's a stupid a reason to focus now. Especially since it's our last day here. 

Alice looked like she was about to pass out at any moment. Michael ignored Alice and walked to the door. He turned the knob and opened the door. "C'mon"

I followed Michael and looked back at Alice. Snot ran down her nose as she slowly put her duck in her bag. Her eyes drooped lower and lower with each movement.