Chapter 67 Artificial Amentia (3)

The older lady’s house was still the same as when Lin Xun last came.

But Ming Ming was obviously different.

The child’s condition had become worse since Lin Xun first saw him. His eyes were glazed. Whenever you talk to him, he would only move his eyeballs a little, and then there would be no other reaction.

The previous case was still under investigation, but there were already some defined plots: his mother killed his dad, and it seemed that he was hacked to death with an axe. Lin Xun thought the child had probably witnessed the murder.

The excessive stimulation might have affected his mental condition. In the eyes of the older lady, and based on her simple theistic belief, the child’s condition can be explained thus: the child’s soul was lost.

He made an appointment with a doctor for this child, and then took them to the hospital he noticed that night – the one just across from their home.

This was a large private children’s hospital with various departments, including specialists in psychology.   

The doctor who received the consultation was a gentle female doctor, but Ming Ming was not so accepting of her gentleness. After a series of examinations, the tentative result of Ming Ming’s diagnosis was determined to be severe traumatic stress disorder, and further examinations were needed, but first, he had to be admitted to the hospital for a period.

The psychiatric department wards were different from the wards that Lin Xun had seen before — the doors leading to the wards were all heavy iron doors, the sharp parts of the appliances were all wrapped in soft materials, and the nurses had an indifferent expression and hurried past the corridor.

A pale corridor unfolded, and the wards were densely lined up one by one. There was sharp crying and crashing from the depths of the corridor. After a cry, more children in the wards began crying as well, causing a tingling sensation to Lin Xun’s eardrums.

To be honest, he had never seen so many children with mental problems.

Because mentally and critically ill patients have been sent to the hospital, except for family members, ordinary individuals would rarely catch sight of these people, thus, creating an illusion that everyone living in the world is healthy — this was survivor bias. But in fact, you will find that their number is exceptionally large once you walk into the hospital.

Ming Ming did not show any aggressive behavior, and was placed in a four-person ward which already had two patients inside.

One of them was a cute little girl. Her symptoms were talking to the air, chatting and telling jokes whenever and wherever, and she would keep talking until her voice became hoarse if she was not forcibly prohibited.

The other child’s symptom was also related to the air. The little boy’s gaze went passed the people in front of him as if he were looking at something in the air, and felt that black figures were floating in the surroundings and were about to eat him.   

In comparison, Ming Ming’s condition seemed unremarkable.

This was good.

The older lady stayed in the ward at a loss, Lin Xun ran up and down several times, and finally completed the admission procedures.