Chapter 99 D-L (5)

There was nothing outside the corridor.

Lin Xun subconsciously used the Sky Eye technique, and in the void, a string of code quickly passed by, then disappeared in the corner of his sight. He walked forward quickly, grasping the handrail with his fingers, and saw an erratic black shadow disappearing swiftly at the end of the stairs. The speed at which the shadow made its escape was so fast it made Lin Xun feel a little unreal in his heart.

He didn't know if this had been his own illusion.

A hand touched his shoulder lightly. It was Dong Jun—his intuition had not aroused the vigilance from the familiar feeling.

Dong Jun asked, "What's wrong?"

Lin Xun thought for a while, but still asked, "Did you just...did you see anything pass by?"

Dong Jun frowned.

Lin Xun, "A...a dark shadow, flying very fast."

"No." Dong Jun said, "Did you see something? The security system did not sound the alarm."

Lin Xun did not continue to speak.

All the devils he had seen so far came towards him, and he hadn't seen one who fled after encountering him.

He looked at the end of the spiral staircase. It was a floating structure. One can access all the floors from top to bottom through the stairs, and what's below it could be anything, perhaps an underground garage, a wine cellar or something else.

Dong Jun walked towards him.

Since Dong Jun hadn't seen anything, Lin Xun didn't want these weird things to disturb his cognition, so he said, "Maybe it was all an illusion, because it's too deserted here."

Dong Jun asked, "Haven't had a good rest recently?"

Lin Xun shook his head. "Didn't you watch me sleep every night?"

Dong Jun, "You had such a big reaction just now."

His reaction was indeed quite big.

Lin Xun clearly remembered the scene—there was his shadow on the floor, and at that moment, a black mass behind his shadow leaped forward, as if something had attacked him from behind. Of course, his subconscious reaction would be to turn around and fight back, before going out to check the situation.

But his behavior was really strange in Dong Jun's eyes.

And Dong Jun said that he hadn't seen anything. This was understandable since Dong Jun was not a cultivator, but at the same time, the system in his brain was still motionless as if it were dead. It is important to know that the system was quite active in releasing missions, so generally speaking, as long as devils appear, the mechanical voice will immediately sound, and assign him the mission.

"Was it really an illusion?

"But this place really isn't ordinary.

"Forget it, Dong Jun is still here, and it's not good to go downstairs and check."

Lin Xun felt that he was like a ghost in the story of Liao Zhai*. He had a secret and was trying to hide his identity; he didn't want Dong Jun to discover that he was not an ordinary person.

*Liao Zhai (聊斋), a collection of Chinese ghost stories.

He blinked, trying to divert Dong Jun's attention from the topic.

Dong Jun followed his gaze and looked down.

The sound of the wuthering wind blowing through an open floor-to-ceiling window somewhere reverberated in the silent building.