Chapter 97 D-L (3)

The scenery along the way was quite good; the air was fresh, but the sky was a little gloomy.

Their destination was a private manor. It was hard to tell how large it was, because Lin Xun couldn't see the edge of the property in his sights.

The owner of the manor was someone he knew.

It was the doctor who had treated his leg.

The first sentence the doctor said was, "How's your leg?"

Lin Xun said, "I can already walk."

Doctor, "Does it still hurt when you walk?"

"No." Lin Xun said, "It only hurts a little when it's bent at a certain angle."

"Your recovery is very fast," the doctor said, "but you still need to pay attention, do not run, do not jump, do not climb the stairs, and do not kneel, be careful."

The first three orders were understandable, but why would the doctor mention kneeling?

Lin Xun's doubts had just popped in his mind, then discovered that the doctor's gaze was not on him, but on Dong Jun.

Lin Xun, "...."

Dong Jun did not display any extra emotion in his eyes, and said lightly, "OK."

The doctor took them inside.

On their way to the mansion, Lin Xun had already learned the purpose of their trip from Dong Jun.

The doctor had bought this private estate recently, and it was inevitable to invite a few very close friends for a small gathering.

So Dong Jun and the doctor were good friends. Although Lin Xun didn't know how Dong Jun—who, according to rumors, only had extreme simple social relations—made friends with the doctor, however, considering that their bourgeois way of making friends was not the same as those of 'ordinaries', it was understandable.

When Dong Jun mentioned the doctor while they were on the road, he also introduced the doctor's character.

The doctor was a person with high ideals; he received the best education, then returned to his home country and joined the busiest hospital, aspiring to cure all patients.

But he failed to achieve his wish because he was so sensitive and empathic that he could feel all his patients' illnesses—when they had headaches, he also had headaches, and when they had liver pains, his liver also ached vaguely—so he was uncomfortable every day, making him suspect that he had all kinds of diseases. Because of this, he not only failed to become a Hippocrates, but became neurotic instead.

When he was in the internal medicine department, he suspected that he had parasites in his body; when he went to the neurology department, he began to think that he had a tumor in his head, and during his days in the dermatology department, the changes in every pore of his body could cause him alarm—not to mention that there were many other difficult diseases in the world that had not even been conquered, he lived in endless doubt.

Then the man's neurosis subsided for a few years when he went to the obstetrics and gynecology department.

After putting an end to his paranoia of having all kinds of diseases, he could have fulfilled his childhood wish of becoming a good and noble doctor—that is, if he hadn't gotten married and had children, then he started suspecting that his family had all kinds of diseases.

In the end, he was carried home by his wife who couldn't bear his worries anymore, and everyone forced him to go back and inherit the family business, but he vowed never to comply. Finally, they each took a step back, and he became a general practitioner in a high-end private medical institution, the number of patients he saw each month dropped to a single digit, and his intense anxiety finally disappeared.