.5.

Opal POV

I stare back at the officer, trying to decide how to answer this question. I'll never see him again so I decide to answer him honestly.

"More than one, I can tell ya that," I laugh out.

The look he's giving me is asking me to continue. I take a sip of my drink and place it back on the bar. "I'm always the second choice."

"What does that mean?"

"I've been hit on three times tonight. Two of those were only after they were turned down by my friends first," I explain.

"And the third?"

"Well, the third wanted more information than I'm willing to give."

Chris quirks his brow. "I thought he just wanted to buy you a drink?"

"He did. But then I'd have had to tell him I don't drink and then he'd want to know why and I'd be locked into a conversation with a man I'm not even mildly attracted to, giving him the smallest hope that he had a chance when in reality he'd just be wasting his time." I'm suddenly winded by that explanation.

   He nods his head, seeming to be content with my answer. "So, why don't you drink?"

   I smirk at him thinking about my previous statement. Am I willing to fall into a lengthy conversation with the man in front of me? He's definitely attractive. His eyes are a piercing blue even though the lighting in the bar is dim.

   "Am I worthy of that conversation?" He apparently noticed my thoughts running across my face. "Or am I wasting my time?" He takes a pull from his beer, watching me.

   I'm about to answer when Laura comes to stand next to me. "Hey! I thought you were right behind me." She notices Chris next to me and changes her position, facing him fully, making sure he's getting a look at her best angles. He's unquestionably her type.  "Hi. I'm Laura," she says confidently placing her hand out to him. 

   "Chris," he says taking her hand in his.

   "Are you from around here," Laura begins her inquisition.

   "I am," he says simply.

   "You must work out." She runs her hand unashamedly up his arm. Like I said, she's the Samantha of the group and this is her signature move to let us know when a man is hers.

   I know my part in this moment is over as she has all but pushed me out of the way so Chris is focused solely on her. I pick my drink off the bar and walk away, looking for the other girls.

   I spot them directly across the way at a table this time. A perfect spot for me to continue watching Chris become enthralled with Laura.

   "That was quite a performance," Lily said referring to our singing. "Nice warm up for the wedding, maybe?"

   I roll my eyes at her. "Are you still on that?"

   "You're singing so you need to just get over yourself." I swear she reprimands me as if I'm a child.

   "What happened to the cutie you were chatting with?" Rae questions.

   "Laura," I sigh. "Guess I can't get too bothered by it. I did say I wasn't looking for anything tonight." Laura, however, well she's always looking and in a place like this I know she'll find it. Who am I kidding? She already has.

   "Want to dance?" Rae can tell I'm dropping into a funk. I shrug my shoulders and scoot out of the booth. She takes my hand leading me out onto the floor.