.6.

Lily is attempting to get Rae into the backseat of our rental. "Did you see Laura?"

I toss my purse into the driver's seat. "Not since I was told she had latched onto a guy's face. I'll go take another look real quick."

I can't go walking into the club barefoot so I take Rae's shoes off of her feet. She's practically passed out and has no idea they're even missing.

Making my way back towards the bar my heartbeat picks up. As much as I tell myself I can't get involved, I'm not forgetting the fact that Chris actually paid attention to me before meeting any of my friends. The closer I get to the door I can see Laura stumbling out, laughing, holding the hand of the guy she was previously making out with.

"Laura!"

She spots me and waves. "Opal!" She and the guy, I think Chris called him Spence, comes towards me. She pulls me into a drunken hug. "That was the best night, ever!"

I'm watching her closely. She's past drunk and there's no way I'm letting her go with whoever this guy is. "All good things come to an end, girlie. Time to go." I look over at the blonde helping hold her upright. "I've got it from here."

"Oh," the guy starts. "I can walk her to your car. Chris came and got us when he saw you leaving. I wasn't going to take advantage of her. I'm not like that."

I raise my brows, small grin and nod my head. "Sure."

   As I point him in the direction of the SUV I hear someone yell. I pay it no mind as it doesn't pertain to me.

   "Shirley! Shirley Temple!"

   It's not until I hear the call a second time that I realize Chris is outside the bar, trying to get my attention. I stand still, roll my eyes and turn in his direction. 'Stand firm, Opal.'

   Chris jogs over to where I've planted my feet. "Really? After that performance, I still get a no?"

   I'm starting to think his smile only knows how to be smug. But, dang it's attractive. I can't give in.

   "Yep. You get a no."

   He tucks his hands in his pockets, his stance wide. "How do I get a yes?"

   He's persistent, I'll give him that. But I'm stubborn. "You don't."  I start walking back towards the car. "Have a good life, Officer Evans!" 

   "Don't think this is over, Ms. Lucas." He doesn't follow me, just calls out.

   "Oh, but it is!"

   I slide into the driver's seat and turn the key. The windows are rolled down, radio loud. I wave to the two gentlemen left standing on the sidewalk.

~~~~~

It's Sunday, late afternoon when we land back in Jacksonville. The flight home went much smoother for myself because I wasn't as exhausted. Here's to hoping any issues at the Inn can wait until I go in tomorrow morning.

Jameson and Anthony both meet us at the airport. Lily runs straight for Jameson while Rae is still nursing her hangover from the night before. Anthony's prepared though and has a burrito from Taco Bell waiting for her. She eats the oddest hangover food.

"Back to the land of relationships," I say taking Laura's arm in mine. She bounced back quicker than Rae after their party hard attitude last night, having only vomited once after breakfast.

She rests her head on my shoulder as we wait by baggage claim.

"So, who hooked up?" Anthony asks looking between myself and Laura. I point a finger at Laura while she's also pointing at herself. "But it was just a make out session. He was a gentleman."