.148.

Opal's heels tap against the hardwood floor of the carriage house as she goes to take her place across from Chris. She notices him pulling at the sleeve that's wrapped around the coffee cup, keeping his eyes away from her. 

  "I see you've embraced the beard again," she says tentatively, an attempt to make simple conversation before trekking into dangerous water.

  "Oh, uh yeah," he responds automatically bringing a hand up to rub along the area around his mouth. He uses the back of his thumb to scratch at a spot near his upper lip. 

  "It looks good. Of course you could probably even pull off a fade and a mustache," she teases.  He just shrugs both is brows and shoulders before leaning back into the kitchen chair.

  Silence falls over the couple, both unsure of where to go and how to get there. Knowing the conversation needs to happen, but both terrified of the effect it will have. 

  "So," Chris starts, "Godparents."

  As much as Chris wants to jump right in, screaming out his frustrations, he knows Opal well enough to know that if she's not ready for it, she'll shut down just like before and manage to push him away completely again.

  Opal smiles at his words. "Right? I mean who in their right mind would want me to be some type of great influence on their child?" she laughs out, cutting herself down just as she use to. 

  His heart aches at her words, now truly seeing the retreat she's made. "Anyone would be lucky to have any size influence from you, Opal."

  "Don't," she warns him, her eyes shifting to look out onto the courtyard.

  He doesn't listen to her plea. "In fact, I seem to recall choosing you to be the best of the best in influence for children. My future children in fact."

    She cuts her eyes at him, "Chris."

  "You wanted to talk. Let's talk," he challenges her. "If we're just going to sit here and have superficial, unimportant small talk then I'm gonna go play golf with Jameson."

  "If you're gonna be like this, then go," she seethes. "You obviously have better ways to enjoy this day."

  Chris scoots his chair back, the sound loud against the flooring. He storms across the room, his steps heavy, his hand clenching against his side. "You're damn right I had better ways to spend today!"

  "Then go!" she yells. 

  "You were suppose to become my wife today, Opal! That is how I wanted to spend today," he cries out in frustration. "I wanted to become tied to you in every way possible, today. That's how I wanted to spend my day. I don't care anything about playing golf with Jameson. I wanted to be tangled in you today," he pauses for a moment. "Just not like this," his voice drops. 

  "I'm sorry to disappoint you," Opal exhales quietly.

  Chris turns and begins walking back to her. "I don't want an apology." He drops down in front of her chair. Taking a risk he lifts one hand to tuck her hair behind her ear. "I just want an explanation," he implores. 

  Opal averts her eyes, knowing if she looks at him long enough she will crumble and spill out everything. "Opal, look at me."  She closes her eyes, a tear finding its way out. "Baby, please. Please look at me." 

  She shakes her head rapidly. "I can't."

  "Yes, you can." Chris sits up on his knees more, taking  both of his hands and gently cupping her face. "I know you can, Opal. Please."  He watches her lip tremble as another tear falls. Taking a risk, he leans in, gently slotting his lips against hers.