.127.

Opal POV  

I fall asleep alone for the first time since we've gotten back from Vegas. I hadn't exactly planned to but when Chris left the room to call his mom with an update I closed my eyes and drifted off within moments. 

  A lighter, happier heart can do that for you I suppose.

  I wake up before Chris, noticing he's still asleep on the couch as I go into the kitchen. The light peeking through my blinds, the sheer curtains basically pointless. But in my defense I'd never expected someone to be using my couch as an actual bed. 

  I start the coffee pot before I go back to the doorway. Leaning my head and shoulder against the frame I stare at the man that's sprawled out on the sofa. He looks peaceful, one hand behind his head while the other rests against his stomach. His pink, perfect lips parted ever so slightly. 

  I don't know how I got so lucky, but I'll thank the good Lord above every day for losing my purse in Atlanta.

  "Gorgeous? Didn't your Pops ever teach you it's not polite to stare?" he rasps out, never opening his eyes. 

  "You've met him. What do you think?" a giggle escapes my lips. 

  Chris rolls onto his side, his back against the back of the couch. He lifts a hand waving his fingers towards me, beckoning me to him.  "You sure about that? I'm in full Jags attire," I tell him as I adjust my top. 

  His lips purse with a pout, his eyes still closed. "I'll let it slide."

  "Let it slide?" I take a couple steps towards the couch. "You getting soft on me, Sergeant?"

  "Not hardly," he chuckles at my innuendo. "But I want cuddles." His hand motioning to me again.

  Just one more step and I'm jumping onto the couch causing Chris to groan as my knee hits his thigh. "I'm sorry!" I laugh out, taking in his furrowed brow and small smile.

  "I'm just thankful it wasn't any higher."

  "Oh no!" I snicker, hiding my face behind my hand for a moment. "No sir, those are too precious remember. Gotta make you a daddy one day," I remind him with a peck to the tip of his cute little nose. 

  "That another promise, Ope?" he opens one eye to look at me.

  "You bet it is, Evans." I run my hand over his bicep that's being hugged by a grey t-shirt.

    Both of his eyes are open now, looking at me intently before he quirks that brow and smirks. "When we gonna start on that project?"

   I'd love to quip back with a 'ready when you are' but I know that's not entirely true. "Well, we get married in a month but we won't be living together. So..." my voice goes a bit quiet as a frown takes over the smile I've been wearing all morning. 

  "Hey," Chris whispers, his hand coming to rest against my cheek. He moves his forehead to lay against mine. "Everything will fall into place, I promise." 

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    We arrive at the hospital just a bit before 10 AM. The registration desk at the front of the hospital tells us that he is still in the process of getting tested but that we can follow the signs to our new waiting room. 

  Upon entering I see the same man from the CCU waiting room. I assume he must've received good news yesterday as well if he's in this waiting room.  He gives us a small nod of hello before he exits.

  I answer a quick call from AnnaBeth who is asking about whether or not we're booking for Valentine's Day next year yet. Hard to believe people are actually capable of planning out their lives that far in advance. 

  "What about you, Ope? You got plans for the big day of love next year?" Chris asks, wiggling his eyebrows. 

  I unscrew the cap on my bottle of water, taking a quick swig. I lick the excess water off of my lip before answering. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

  Before he can snap back with a witty, smug reply a nurse appears at the doorway. "Miss Lucas?"

  "That's me," I answer, raising my hand a bit.

  "If you'd like to follow me, I can show you to Mr. Lucas' new room." She stands off to the side allowing both Chris and I to step out of the room before following her.

  "How is he today?" Chris asks before I can get the words out of my mouth. I adore the fact that he has such concern for the most important man in my life. 

  "He seems to be doing well, but this is my first time meeting him. You'll probably be better judges of that than me," she says warmly. We follow her down one hallway before we turn right and go down another, stopping just before an elevator. "Room 1244."

  "Thank you," Chris says as I knock lightly on the door.

  "Pops?" I call out as I push the door open.

  "Ope!" he says with a smile. "Sergeant!"

  I lean in to give him a hug, his movements slow. "Have you been behaving yourself?"

  He holds me close a moment longer than normal, moving to give me a kiss on my cheek. "Where's the fun in that?" I lean back but sit down on the bed facing him. "They had me a redhead, Ope!"

  Chris bellows out a chuckle from next to me, sliding the chair up closer to join us. "I know," I tell him. "She was there every day while you were in CCU. If you'd have woke up sooner you'd have known that."

  He teasingly sticks his tongue out at me and rolls his eyes. "Careful, your face may freeze that way."

  "Would make a great face for all of those wedding photos," Chris jokes as he lifts his right hand, taking my left in his own. My right hand being held by Pop's right. 

  Pops looks back and forth between Chris and I. His facial features changing slightly causing me to glance over at Chris as well. "You two seem different."

  I'm starting to wonder if he actually heard me tell him about our almost wedding in Vegas. I know I told him we came close to pulling a 'him and Granny,' but surely he doesn't remember that.

  Chris shrugs his shoulders while I ask him what exactly he means. His eyes narrow as he thinks of his response. "Am I getting that great grandbaby, Ope? Are you pregnant?"

  My head drops to my chest, shaking back and forth as a smile grows over my lips. "That's not possible, old man." 

  He still doesn't seem convinced. "Poor swimmers, Christopher?"

  My hand clamps over my mouth as my eyes go wide. "Did you lose all your manners while you were unconscious?"

  "Never had them to begin with. I'm old. I can get away with saying what I'm thinking." He looks over at Chris who has a bit of a shocked expression on his face. "Well, Officer?"

  Chris attempts to speak but can't really spit out any words, just sputters mumbled nonsense.

  "Pops," I pat his hand gently. "I didn't think I'd have to have this conversation with you. But, when a man and a woman love each other-"

  "I know about the birds and the bees you silly girl," he says, swatting at me.

  "Well, apparently not." I look over at Chris, somewhat asking for permission to continue this very embarrassing conversation. He nods his head in agreement to continue.  "Because Chris and I haven't had sex, so a baby is not possible right now."

  Pops takes a deep breath, eyeing Chris. "I like you even more now."

  Chris falls into a loud round of laughter, dropping my hand in order to clutch the left side of his chest, causing Pops and I both to join him. The sounds occupying this room bring an indescribable amount of joy to my soul.