.155.

Opal POV

  We work our way through each of the rooms in Pop's small home. Countless books from his shelves packed away into boxes while picture frames were wrapped in newspaper and placed in plastic storage bins. Bags of clothing to be donated with the exception of a couple of my favorite shirts of his that are going home with me. Anything that seemed to be letters, bills or other paper items of importance we just threw into a couple boxes and loaded them into Rae's car. 

  So here I am, six hours later, finally sitting back on my couch with my book boyfriend once more. And as into the story line as I was before getting kidnapped, I can't find my way back into the same headspace as I was in before. 

  In fact, my headspace hasn't been the same since realizing what Chris did for my grandfather. Well, his family I suppose. And it only got worse when the girls Facetimed him. 

  The man looked good.

  Real good.

  As little as I spoke, one might've assumed I was angry with him. But really, I was terrified the butterflies would fly straight from my stomach and out of my mouth if I spoke more than a couple words at a time. 

  It didn't go unnoticed that the girls each took their turn talking to him outside. I'm not stupid, I know I was the topic of conversation. I just wasn't included probably because they were concerned with what I might say or how I'd react to whatever they were telling him about me. 

  I snap my book shut again, groaning for the simple fact that I can't focus. I lay my head back on the arm of the couch, the book resting against my chest. My fingernails absentmindedly tapping the hard cover. I close my eyes for a moment, fighting against the urge to fall asleep knowing if I did I'd be awake for the rest of the night after just a couple hours. My head falls to the right as I open my eyes. They land on a box that I don't remember noticing when we were loading up Rae's trunk. I realize it must've been packed up by Lily since I recognize her handwriting on the side: "Pop's Office- Opal."

  The box under it is labeled bills, and another with photo albums. All three came from his office, so why is the one labeled with my name. 

  Right as I sit up my cell dings from its spot on the coffee table. I chew on my bottom lip as I notice it's a text from Chris. It's simple, straightforward and to the point.

  "You okay?"

  I exhale a sigh, licking my now aching lip, before answering. 

  "I'll let you know."

  It takes no time at all for an emoji with a quirked brow to be sent back my way. I shake my head as a tiny grin finds its way to my lips. 

  "Later."

  A simple thumbs up comes through almost instantly as I set the phone back down. I grab my pocket knife from the catchall tray in my foyer and slice open the box labeled "Pop's Office- Opal."

  Sitting right on top is my yearbook photo from my senior year of high school. I chuckle as I think back to the day we had it taken. Granny had decided before hand that she was going to buy me my own set of pearls to wear for the image. Pops said he was having none of that and I could just wear Granny's set. He obviously won out, but on the day of my graduation from high school he handed me a shiny black box that held my very own strand of pearls. 

  Grabbing my phone I snap a photo and send it off to Chris with the caption "taking a walk down memory lane."

  Looking back in the box I see a class picture from what I believe was fourth grade. Miss Gillian? Yep, fourth grade. The year of perms and big bangs. I must be glutton for being mocked because I snap another photo and send it off.