.66.

Opal POV

I move around a bit in my seat, enjoying the upbeat song. That is until Chris grabs my left hand. My eyes looking at the paper ring that Chris has placed on my left hand, ring finger. A flutter escapes my heart as my mouth goes dry. I shift my gaze from my hand up to his eyes. The blue seeming brighter than normal, a twinkle resting within them as if he's smiling with his eyes. "Happy Valentine's Day, Ope."

I swallow the thick feeling down my throat, which is of no help considering my mouth is completely dry. "Chris," I start, ready to question this gesture a little further, but that's when my phone goes off.

I swear we are always getting interrupted.

He doesn't let go of my hand, as I don't make a move either. My head cocks to the side, an effort to try and figure this moment out. My mouth opens but no sound comes out, again my phone goes off. "You gonna get that?" he asks me, still refusing to let go of my hand.

'Not when I'm trying to pick my jaw off the floor,' I think to myself. "What?" I manage to squeak out.

"Your phone, babe. Someone is obviously adamant about getting a hold of you at 10:30 at night, you might better answer it."

"Oh, right." I give my head a quick shake before using my right hand to pick up my phone from it's spot on the dashboard. I forget it's still connected to the bluetooth when I answer. "Hello." My gaze still rests on Chris who is giving me the smallest grin, as if he's hiding a secret.

"I'm engaged!" Laura's voice squeals through the speakers causing both of us to wince from the shrill sound.

I muster up the excitement that I know she's expecting even as I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on in this car. "Congratulations!" Chris and I yell out together, still looking at one another.

Her squealing quiets quickly. "Why did that sound like it was in surround sound? Who are you with, Opal?"

"Hey Laura," he says, still not taking his eyes off of me.

"Opal! Why didn't you tell me Chris was coming? I can't believe you kept it to yourself, especially when we were at Magnolia just a few hours ago," she scoffs, speaking to me as if I'm a child.

I'm thankful when Chris speaks up before me. "She had no idea, Laura. It was a surprise."

"Anyways," she interrupts, completely ignoring his explanation. "Come out and join us for a celebratory drink!"

I lift my shoulders in a bit of a shrug while biting the corner of my lip. Chris leans over and presses the mute button on the call before speaking. "Up to you, Opal. I'll go with whatever you want to do."

Truthfully, I don't want to go. I want to be here, in this moment, for as long as I possibly can before reality truly sets in.

"Opal?" Laura asks, unknown to her that she is on mute. "Chris?" Another moment passes. "Anyone!"

Chris rolls his eyes before unmuting her. "Give us a minute," he responds sternly, agitation evident in his voice.

"It's okay to say no," he assures me once she's muted again.

I take a deep breath before I unmute the call again. "Where?" I ask.

He probably doesn't realize that I noticed his chest fall a bit when he let out a sigh. "We're down at the Ritz."

"Laura, that's forty-five minutes from where we are," I remind her, once again knowing that she's not taking that into consideration.

"So what," she answers nonchalantly.

"Hey, Laura, I'm pretty tired from driving all day. Can we maybe meet up tomorrow for lunch or something?" Chris offers. I mouth a silent 'thank you' to him.

"Whatever," Laura whines. "Spencer will text you tomorrow." And with that, she hangs up.

I lift my drink to my lips, taking a sip. "I hope I wasn't overstepping," Chris tells me.

I shake my head. "Not at all. Honestly, I wasn't in the mood to deal with her tonight."

"What are you in the mood for, Opal?" he asks, his eyes once again meeting mine.

"Explanations."

~~~~~

Chris POV

"Explanations," Opal says, still offering up confusion across her face.

"Explanations," I lightly chuckle.

"Please."

I turn to my right in order to face her a bit more than before, holding her hand in mine as the grease from the cheese sticks seep through the bag underneath our hands. "Ya gotta give me more than that."

"Chris," she says quietly. "What is this exactly?" She holds her left hand in the air, the paper ring still in its place. "Did you propose and I miss it?"

I take a deep settling breath before I begin. "This," I take the hand once more, "is letting you know that you are it for me. I want you and no one else. This is a promise that one day something nicer, shinier will sit right here." I see her breathe a small sigh of relief. "But," she jerks her head towards me once again, "it's also meant to let you know that if I could, I'd marry you right now." Anxiety looks like it's about to overtake her. "But, I also know that is probably not where you are yet. So, take it as a promise ring. I promise to wait for you. Always."

Opals beautiful golden brown eyes fill with tears for the second time tonight. "I love you, Chris. I think I want everything with you." She pauses. "But-"

I let go of her hands, bringing her face closer to mine, resting our foreheads together. "No. No explanation needed. I meant what I said. I want to marry you and I will wait however long you need me to." My thumbs brush the fallen tears from her cheeks.

"Will you?" she asks me. "Wait, concerning everything?"

"Of course."

"Chris, I saw, and well felt, how hard it was for you to control yourself when we were making out at the park. I can't ask you to push aside that part of you."

So we're back to this conversation again. "You're not asking. You told me your choice, I respect that choice in turn respecting you and knowing that I will wait." I look at her very pointedly so she gets what I'm saying. "You are it for me. I don't care how long it takes, as long as I get to be with you while we wait, then I'm a happy man. And toss in some horny teen makeout sessions, then I'm good." Her face brightens as she laughs. "I love you, Opal." I kiss her forehead. "I want to marry you." I kiss the tip of her nose. "I promise to marry you." I kiss her lips.

She nods an agreement with a whispered okay.

"Now, where to?"

"Magnolia. Somebody promised me an old fashioned horny teen make out session." She cuts her eyes at me and wiggles her brow.

"That, I can deliver."