.42.

OPAL POV

    The ring is exquisite. Simple, not flashy what so ever. The square diamond sits upon a thin gold band. I'd guess maybe a half a carat at most. It's exactly the type of ring I always imagined for myself. Reminds me of my own mother's ring, causing memories to resurface that I'd managed to subdue for over twenty plus years. 

   I remember a time when I was four years old, my mom was still pregnant with my brother. She'd had a fun idea of getting some photos of me in her wedding dress. The dress obviously swallowed me whole, but it was exciting none the less. I can remember the feel of the satin against my skin, along with the insane amount of pins that were used to hold it in place. I watched her fuss around me, making sure to get it as perfect as it could be, seeing the promise she made to my father resting on her ring finger of her left hand. I begged her to let me wear it. She told me no, not in an angry way, or out of fear of me losing it. "Daddy put this ring on my finger six years ago, and I've never once taken it off. This is the most special kind of ring you can ever receive, a ring that's chosen just for you. You'll wear one when you're older, and it'll be only yours."

   I let my finger tip trace around the princess cut diamond, still remaining upright in the velvet box. I'm fighting all temptation to remove it and maybe even try it on. But I stop myself, knowing this isn't meant for me.

  Chris had never mentioned being engaged before, not that we've spoken too much about previous relationships. I guess that's maybe one of the downfalls in this relationship? Or is it that we are just thinking about the here and now, and hopeful for the future?

   I close the box, setting it down on the bedside table. I crawl under the covers, finding comfort in the spot Chris laid on earlier, his scent still lingering. 

   I try to get myself comfortable enough to fall asleep, but end up tossing and turning for another hour. I decide to give up and turn the television back on, trying to find something mindless to watch in the hopes it will lull me to sleep. 

   My brain just can't seem to shut off. It's not even over the discovery of the ring. I've reminded myself more than once that Chris' has had a life before me. Probably a very active life. I've chosen to accept that fact as he's accepted my own past. 

   No, my brain is holding on to the fact that something about tonight felt different. As I let my mind replay his voice during the call, and his actions after, I realize my breathing has become unsteady. I stare at the ceiling, willing myself to get it under control before it gets any worse. 'In, out,' I tell myself, remembering to take a breath in through my nose, blowing it out through my mouth. "It's not working!" I shout into the dark of the room. Tears begin pricking my eyes, a familiar sting.

   Just as I'm about to let myself go and fall right into an anxiety abyss, I hear my cell phone go off. 

Chris- I'm gonna be longer than expected.

Me- it's alright, I understand

Chris- get some rest, sweetheart. I'll be there as soon as I can.

Me- be careful. I've grown kind of fond of you.

Chris- aw, shucks

  I giggle at his last response in which he's also included a blushing emoji. My body begins to relax, clearly affected by even just a few simple words from him. Seeing that it's after midnight now, I decide to turn off the alarm I'd previously set earlier, the plan of making Chris breakfast in the morning a distant thought now.

~~~~~

Chris POV

   I put my personal phone back in my locker after texting Opal, replacing it with the one I'd been having to use for this assignment. Taking a deep breath I walk back into the conference room to continue the briefing. 

   Spencer and I both listen intently, taking in every new piece of information, knowing that if we miss even a sentence we'll blow this whole thing and all of the last few weeks will have been for nothing. 

   "The higher ups believe now is the time. We've looked back over all of the information, meetings and buys leading up to now and we have to agree with them," Hodge, head of narcotics, tells us. "Your meeting is at 3 AM." He looks back to myself and Spencer. "Get ready."

   I swallow the thickness that has developed in my throat, attempting to push it down while still looking like I've got myself under control. However, this can't be a 'fake it til you make it' situation. One slip up and someone may not make it home.

   We make our way down to get wired up, placing a great deal of faith in the woman whose job it is to make sure we're not discovered by wires. 

   "You good?" Spencer asks me, concern clouding his eyes.

   I nod without answering aloud. I can be fully prepared to do the job I signed up for, and still be nervous about it. Seeing the way Opal gave me my space earlier didn't help. It's almost like she sensed something. Guess my acting skills around her needs a bit more work.

  "We're moving everyone into place. You boys need to head out to the buy. Keep levelheaded and everything will go fine." We both nod in agreeance at Hodge. 

   Looking over at Spencer I put my hand out in front of him. "Let's do it."

~~~~~

Third Person POV

   The city of Atlanta sleeps soundly, the sky dark with the exception of the moon. Businesses have long since closed, locked up until the following opening hours. Even city transportation runs lightly through the now empty streets. 

   Opal, no longer tossing and turning, breathes steadily through the night. She shifts in bed, glancing at the clock on the bedside table before turning over to face the floor to ceiling windows, noticing the sun beginning to make an appearance. Deciding it would be the perfect time to watch the sunrise, Opal scoops up the comforter, wrapping it around her as she makes her way closer to the windows.

   However something is different this morning. This is not the usual slow wake up for the city Opal has learned about. No, today she peers down into the city noticing roads are filled with sirens, along with flashing red and blue lights. 

   Opal drops the comforter from her shoulders, immediately feeling a pain of loss. She darts to her cell phone, her breath catching as she sees no missed calls, no text messages. Grabbing the remote she flips through finally finding a news station. All they are making known is that there is a heavy police presence downtown and what roads are closed. 

   Another hour passes. Opal, still sitting at the edge of the bed, continuing to watch the news, hopeful for any break in information that would help put her at ease. She's so focused that she jumps as her phone rings in her hand. Not paying any attention to the screen she quickly slides the call over, answering quickly. "Chris!"

   "Opal."

   Her heart drops at the voice on the other end, "Spencer?"