.87.

Chris POV

"How about dinner on the back patio?" I ask Opal as she finishes putting her purse away. "Mila came over and stocked the fridge and freezer of all your favorites." I continue guiding her through the door until we reach her living room and I lead her to sit down on the sofa.

Opal had finally been released from the hospital a week and a half post surgery. Doctor said everything was healing well and as of right now there was no sign of rejection. He encouraged her to take it easy for the next several weeks, keep on top of meds and keep up with all of her follow up appointments.

"Sure," she sighs as she gets comfortable on the couch. She's been moving around more, but it still takes a lot out of her.

I drop her hospital bag in her bedroom but don't unpack it, unsure that she'd be comfortable with that. "Spencer text me last night," I mention as I walk down the hallway. "He said the doctor cleared Laura completely so she's going to go ahead with the move Saturday." I stop in my tracks once I reach the living room again, seeing Opal whimpering silently against the couch. "Opal?"

She waves me off but also knows me well enough to know that won't work. I take a seat next to her, resting my hand on her thigh giving it a gentle squeeze. "What is it, babe?"

She takes a deep breath in an attempt to calm her tears before wiping at her tear stained face. "I missed so much time with her because of the accident. We had plans for a girl's night, helping her pack. I've missed it all."

"Not all of it, love." I pull my phone from my pocket opening it up to a text conversation Lily, Rae and I had been having with Laura. "Look." I pass her the phone and watch her expression change as she scrolls through the messages.

"Really?" she looks up at me, her brown eyes a bit happier. I realize at what point of the conversation she's reached.

I nod my head. "Of course. They'll be here tomorrow night. All of them, for a good old fashioned Girl's Night In."

"What about you?"

"Guy's Night Out," I smirk. "Spencer will be back to help Laura move so he's gonna join us too."

"Just behave yourself," she teases me. I look at her, shocked. "A friendly smile is a welcomed form of flirting, Sergeant. Did you not learn anything from your last night at Decker's?"

I hold her close to me, guiding us both to lay back onto the couch. She tucks close into my side, resting her head on my shoulder, just at the crook of my neck. "I'll be sure to not smile. I'll remain smug the whole night."

Opal pops her head up a bit. "That's worse than a smile, Chris."

"What?" I chuckle out, completely confused by what she's telling me.

"What happens when a girl doesn't give a guy the time of day?"

"He chases the girl." I point a finger between the two of us. "Case in point."

"Right. Now, when a guy remains smug, the girl will try a lot more things to get his attention."

"You aren't serious," I question her.

"Dead serious, Christopher." She lays completely beside me now, resting her head on her hand, held up by her elbow on the couch. "That smug smirk of yours is what kept me questioning whether or not I was a fool for turning you down all those times."

"Wait, wait, wait." I mimic her stature, turning towards her. "I thought you hated the smug smirk."

"Only because it made me want to jump your damn bones," she barks out with a mile wide smile, causing me to fall back on my back again laughing uncontrollably. I feel her hand grasp my chin tightly, turning my head back towards her. "So, no smugness with other women. Understood?"