.136.

The doorbell rings as Chris climbs out of the shower. He hadn't seen much of Opal this morning and was unsure if she was in the position to answer it. He cracks the bathroom door open. "Just a second," he yells out, hopeful that whoever is on the other side of the door heard him. 

  He pulls on his shorts before leaving the bathroom, tugging his shirt down as he opens the front door. His hair dripping along the collar of the shirt. "What are you doing here?" he asks, seeing Lily standing on the front porch dressed in her funeral attire.

  "Opal called." She holds up a plastic bag. "Waterproof mascara," she explained. 

  Chris nods, standing off to the side to allow Lily entrance. "She in her room I take it?"

  "Your guess is as good as mine," he quips. Lily raises her brow, curious by what he means. "I've only seen her long enough to pass her a bagel and a cup of coffee. I don't even know if she ate any of it."

  He gives her a very short, not completely detailed, rundown of the last two days.

  "She'll get through this, Chris. It's just gonna take time." She offers him a comforting hand to his shoulder, giving it a quick rub. 

  'Time that I don't have,' he thinks to himself. "You're welcome to check her room. I think she mentioned wanting to leave by 10."

  "Right. You still want Jameson to pick up your family?"

  "If he doesn't mind, that would be helpful. I didn't think a packed car would make this any easier on her," Chris informs Lily. 

  Lily agrees before walking off down the hall, towards Opal's room. She knocks softly before turning the handle. "Can I come in?"

  "Sure," she says in a whisper.

  Pushing the door open, Lily sees her best friend sitting on the edge of the bed, only half dressed. Her hair still damp from stopping the blow dryer too early. No make up present, no jewelry in place. 

  "I come bearing the most important accessory of the day," she chirps, trying to break Opal out of her dazed state. She pulls the mascara tube from the plastic bag and waves it around.

  Opal lifts her head slightly, a very thin, small smile on her lips. "Thanks," she says.

  Lily sighs, broken hearted for her friend and really unsure of how to help her move forward. She stands in front of Opal, pushes her hair off her shoulders before speaking. "Let's get you ready, yeah?"

  Opal blinks, a tear releasing from her eye. "I keep telling myself if I don't go, then it didn't really happen." She chuckles lightly. "Guess I can't live in that dream world anymore, can I?"

  Lily wipes away the fallen tear. "Afraid not, Ope." She offers her a hand, encouraging her to stand up. "Come on. I'll help with your hair and make up."

  Twenty minutes later, Chris waits by the front door. Lily having left about five minutes earlier heading towards the cemetery. He stands in the same suit he had worn that morning in Vegas, when they were preparing for an entirely different celebration. His feet shuffle back and forth a bit, anticipation rising, as his hands rest in his pockets. His fingers fumbling around with the Opal's car keys resting in the right side pocket. 

  His head turns as he hears Opal's bedroom door creak open. He takes a deep breath, watching as she emerges slowly and cautiously. 

  Very few words have been exchanged since the previous night, both still unsure of how to navigate through the emotions that continue to hang through the air but yet change moment to moment.