.73.

Chris POV

Opal's correct. She and CJ are complete opposites of one another. I knew that going in, but I also assumed that they'd never meet one another, putting me in this awkward situation.

"Maybe I should head back to the hotel now," Scott offers up, obviously trying to get out of this situation. Also, leaving me to fend for myself.

Opal now holds her hand up to him, keeping him in his seat. "You stay. I'm gonna go before I cause a scene for the future Sergeant Evans." She leans over the table scooping up her her purse and coat before turning on her heels and heading for the door.

Her use of Sergeant didn't have near the same effect this time as her eyes are not filled with lust, but disappointment. I'm just unsure if it's disappointment in me or herself.

I look back at Scott, stunned and shocked in place. "Go after her you idiot!"

"Are you sure?" I question before grabbing up my own jacket.

"Of course. Don't screw this up, Chris." I heed his advice and sprint out of Decker's before jogging down the street towards the hotel.

Two blocks down, with three to go, my phone rings. I stop my jog and begin walking as I pull it from my pocket.

"Hey, Pops!" I yell into the phone, trying to keep my breath steady although from the cold jog my lungs ache ever so slightly.

"Officer," he responds. "I'm headed to bed, so you and our girl can stop worrying about me, alright?"

"Yes, sir. I'll pass on that information. I'll see you both at 10 AM tomorrow morning in the lobby. Y'all can follow me to the precinct."

"Looking forward to it officer," I hear a smile in his voice, making my heart ache a bit more. He hangs up and my pace increases, trying to get to the hotel quickly.

How on earth did Opal get this far so quick? I'm starting to think she may have grabbed a taxi. Or worse yet, she didn't head back for the hotel.

I reach the hotel and go straight for the elevator, calling it down to the ground floor. Once I'm standing in front of her room, knocking, listening but hearing nothing. No shuffling around, no television playing. I attempt to call her cell and listen for the ring. Nothing.

Instead of standing here waiting I go down one floor to my parent's room. One knock on the door and my dad answers. "Have either of y'all seen Opal?" hoping I'm capable of keeping my emotions in check, not giving away the stupidity of this situation.

Dad shakes his head as I hear my mom call from inside the room. I take a couple steps in and ask again. "I thought she was out with you and Scotty?" my mom questions me.

"She, uh, she was," I stutter out. "She left before us."

"You let her walk around downtown by herself?" my mother scolds me.

"I know, Ma, I know." I turn around once more, leaving the room and heading to the only other place I could think Opal would go.

Turning the key in my own apartment door, I pause, whispering a very quiet prayer before walking in. If Opal isn't here, then I've screwed up even more than I could've imagined.

I take one step over the threshold, closing the door behind me. I stay in place. "Opal?" I call out, hopeful for a response.

"In here," I hear her barely there answer.

"I've been looking for you everywhere," I say as I walk towards my bedroom where her voice called out from.

"Here I am," she says dryly.