.118.

Chris POV

  We're an hour into the flight when I feel a heaviness from Opal's head that rests against my shoulder, letting me know she's finally fallen asleep completely. Her hand that's been gripping mine relaxes as well, just resting now in the palm of my hand. My opposite hand's fingers playing with the engagement ring that sits so beautifully atop her ring finger. My mind blown at the fact that in a few hours her grandmother's wedding ring will be resting next to it.

  Leaning my head back on the headrest of the seat, I can't keep from releasing a sigh of pure happiness and contentment. The last twelve hours having been some of the best in my life. If I'm being honest with myself, I'm shocked Opal agreed to this. But, I meant it. So, I took my shot and thankfully it didn't backfire. But, if she'd have said no, I'd have smiled, kissed her once more and happily tucked her into bed knowing that our day would eventually come.

  Instead, here we are flying to Vegas to get married. 

  "Meds?" I ask her again, grinning when I see her shoot a death glare my way. "What?"

  She opens up the carry on bag to show me that her meds are in fact sitting right on top, encased in the small blue floral bag, zipped up tight and secure. "Forget one time, and you just can't let it go."

  "Can't have you passing out on me before we get to the vows," I pause, zipping the carry on bag back up, before she starts snooping "Or after for that matter." I wiggle one brow up and down as the blush grows deeper across her cheeks. 

  "So sure of yourself, Evans?" she sasses, one hand on her hip as she stands in front of me. 

  I set the bag back on the top of her suitcase before walking towards her. Immediately my arm snakes around her waist, yanking her flush to my chest. "Damn straight." The intensity of my own eyes mirrored by  hers. "And that's Sergeant Evans," I correct her before smashing her lips with my own, teasing her immediately with my tongue causing her to moan against me.

  "You can't...be starting...something...now," Opal says breathlessly as my lips move to her neck, my thumb brushing against her jawline while my hand holds her neck. I can feel her swallow under my hand. "We've got a plane to catch...Sergeant."

  I smile against her skin, loving the way my title falls off her lips. It's had me in a puddle since the day I met her. 

  Standing back up straight, placing one more soft kiss against her lips, I pull back. "You ready, Ope?" Giving her another opportunity to back out if she wishes. 

  But, I don't see any signs of hesitation behind her eyes. Oh how I love her eyes. They bring me such a sense of comfort even when I don't realize how much I need it. 

  "I wish that I never knew a day before you. That I'd never had to endure the heartache and pain of love lost, or being left behind, not good enough." Her eyes begin to fill with tears for probably the third time since my latest proposal, but her lips smile. "But they've all brought me here, to you. I'm ready, Chris." 

  "I love you, Opal. Forever I will love you," I tell her, staring into her eyes. "Never will that change."  

  Something flashes behind her eyes, and I wonder if she recognizes what I just said. I move quickly, trying to throw her off.  I hand her the purse and carry on before opening the door and rolling the suitcase through. 

  With the handle in one hand, and the garment bag in my other, I give her another chance. "You're sure?" I whisper quietly, for fear of waking up anyone else in the apartment building.