.46.

Chris POV

   There are no words found in Webster's dictionary to describe the discomfort I feel.  My body aches in ways I didn't know possible. My eyes are so heavy that I can't open them, no matter how hard I try. My  hearing is muffled although I continue to try and focus long enough to understand any little bit of what I'm hearing, whether it be recognizing a  voice or actual words being said.

I have flashes of memories from the drug bust, but for the most part I'd just like to forget all of it. I try shifting the flashes to moments with Opal, something to bring me more comfort than agony. The way her smile shines straight from the depths of her heart. The glint her eyes give just before she kisses me. The softness of her hair in my hands when I guide that same kiss, holding her as close to me as I possibly can, feeling her melt against me. That thought alone brings me a peace over the pain my body is encompassing at this moment.

I don't know how long I've been out, or how much longer I'll remain this way. I know it must be by way of medication because all of my efforts to make myself wake up are futile.

My brain, obviously working from my side of things, goes back to a conversation with Opal back at the wedding. The topic of conversation being about having a family one day, whether or not I wanted children. She questioned if my job had me second thinking my desire for a family. At the time I told her no, knowing that this was what I was meant to be doing. I have a feeling she's going to want to revisit that conversation once I'm awake and moving again. My only thoughts that have changed on the topic, is knowing that I want it with her.

I suddenly feel soft fingertips across my brow. It's so gentle and featherlike that I know the touch belongs to Opal. Her lips ghost across my cheek before I notice a feeling of heaviness on my left hand. I'm begging my eyes to open, my hand to lift, even my fingers to move ever so slightly just so I can give her the assurance I know she desperately needs right now. But instead I feel my mind giving in to the exhaustion and the comfort I feel from her touch, letting my body relax and rest.

~~~~~

My next effort to open my eyes is more successful. Everything is fuzzy and dark. I blink slowly a few times, allowing my eyes to adjust. Cautiously I move my head towards my left, noticing a dim light coming from the side of my bed, next to where I see Opal's head resting just below my resting hand, her hair tickling my fingertips. The light is coming from her cell. This is when I notice more than just the beeping from machines, but soft music playing from her phone.

I fight all desire to immediately wake her up, let her know that I'm here and I'm okay. But, I stop myself, knowing that I've put her through hell today and if she's resting then that's what I want her to continue doing.

I'm able to move my hand ever so slightly to better feel her soft brown hair between my fingertips. I continue to do this gently as a song I've only ever heard once begins to play from her phone. The melody soft and soothing.

I swear to God, when I come home
I'm gonna hold you so close
I swear to God, when I come home, I'll never let go

Like a river, I flow to the ocean I know
You pull me close, guiding me home

And I need you to know that we're
Fallin' so fast, we're fallin' like the stars, fallin' in love

And I'm not scared to say those words
With you I'm safe, we're fallin' like the stars, we're fallin' in love

I swear to God, I can see
Four kids and no sleep
We'll have one on each knee, you and me, hmm

And when they've grown up
You're still the girl in the club
When I held your hair up, 'cause you had too much

And I need you to know that we're
Fallin' so fast, we're fallin' like the stars, fallin' in love

And I'm not scared to say those words
With you I'm safe, we're fallin' like the stars, fallin' in love

I swear to God, every day
He won't take you away
'Cause without you, babe, I lose my way

Oh, I'm in love (I'm in love)
Oh, I'm in love (fallin' like the stars)

And I need you to know that we're
Fallin' so fast, we're fallin' like the stars, fallin' in love
And I'm not scared to say those words

With you I'm safe, we're fallin' like the stars, we're fallin' in love

  I watch as she begins to stir, shifting ever so slightly before lifting her head and turning it towards my direction this time. Her eyes remain close as I carefully bring my hand up, moving closer to her cheek. I can see on her face that she recognizes my touch, even in her sleep, as she nuzzles a bit more while I caress her cheek with my thumb. 

  With my hand resting against her cheek, I begin to drift off again. "I love you, Opal," I whisper softly amidst the melody of the song and the beeps of monitors. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***I know this one is MUCH shorter than usual but the days are getting crazier now being so close to the holidays. Hoping to update my other story as well, as I know several of you are following both.

***Aw! He's in love... Like he hasn't been since the night at the bar ;)