.132.

AN- I know it's been several days since I've updated. These next few chapters will possibly come out slower than usual just because of how much empathy I'm feeling for my characters. It's emotionally draining writing about loss if I'm being completely honest. *Song choice above played on repeat during part of the process*

Opal POV

  Shock.

  Denial.

The first stage of grief. I should be in disbelief. I should be questioning the accuracy of the situation.

So what do you do when you feel like you were already aware of it before you were given the news? The news that I'd been privy to because of my dream. The fact that I was already crying when I woke up gave that away. Not to mention the sudden feeling of emptiness and loss that filled my heart before I came to.

  The ride back to my house from the funeral home is quiet. Chris' hand rests just above my knee as he drives, his thumb rubbing against my skirt, moving ever so slightly. There haven't been many words between the two of us since he woke me up with the news.

  I sit silent in the passenger seat, staring out into the gray sky, thankful that the weather matches the way my soul feels. It's midday but looks closer to dusk, clouds rolling in quicker than usual for a typical Florida summer storm.

  "Are you hungry?"

  I don't answer with words, but shake my head silently still keeping my focus on the passing city around me.

  He focuses back on the road although I know he saw me answer him. "I can get some of those cinnamon empanadas you like," he offers.

  "No," I say simply, my tone even.

  Memory unlocked. I think back to that night Pops was admitted to the hospital and Chris drove me because I couldn't focus enough to get further than the front of Magnolia. We were in the process of leaving for the night when Pops whispered something to him. I assumed he was thanking him for bringing me. But really he was telling Chris to get me my comfort food.

  Chris takes the last turn before my neighborhood. I tear my eyes away from the window long enough to check my phone, seeing that AnnaBeth has reserved a handful of rooms for those coming in to town for the service. It won't be many. Other than Chris' family and Laura, there isn't anyone else. I drop my phone back into my bag as Chris puts the car in park.

  I ignore his normal insistence of opening my door and get out on my own, going straight to my door. He walks behind me, giving me space. I unlock the door, dropping my bag to the ground, slipping off my flats and go straight to my bedroom. I shut the door behind me immediately.

  I change into a pair of leggings and a tank top before grabbing a pair of socks and my running shoes. It's been so long that I have to dig them out of the back of my closet. I toss my hair up on top of my head before grabbing my cell and ear buds, putting them in place.

  Upon opening my door I see Chris leaning against the bathroom door way. He's still dressed from our earlier appointment.

 I don't meet his gaze.

 I just can't.

  "Where are you going?" he asks gently, his body turning towards me as I walk past him.

  "Running," I answer.

  "Do you think that's a good idea? It looks like it's gonna get real nasty real quick, sweetheart."

  I don't take his words as concern, rather feeling like they're more condescending than anything. Especially the pet name. Although I'm sure that's not how he means to come across, but in my state, you can't change my mind.