.35.

Moments turned into minutes. Minutes turned into hours. Before either of them were ready it was time for Chris to return home to Atlanta and his new assignment.

   The couple walk hand in hand out of the Inn and into the parking lot. At 3 AM the city is quiet, no sound of cars or rumblings of factories. The only witnesses to this moment are the moon and stars, sparkling like an array of diamonds across the black sky.

   "Not gonna lie, this actually hurts," Chris tells her while he loads his duffle into his car before turning back to face Opal.

   "What do you mean?" She stands back, shuffling her feet against ground.

   Chris grabs Opal by the hips, bringing her closer to his chest. "My lips. They're already lonely," he smirks back at her, his eyes dancing under the moonlight.

   "Well, Officer Evans, don't go trying to find someone to keep them company," Opal sasses back, matching his smirk.

   "I wouldn't dream of it," he says bringing his lips down to hers once more. 

   Oddly enough, Opal still finds his smugness incredibly attractive, knowing that when you look like him you can get away with it. Especially when the actions of his lips match the sincerity  of his heart. 

   "This isn't goodbye, Opal," he says, opening the driver side door.

   "I know," she whispers, but sounds unconvinced by her own words. As though she's holding her breath, waiting for betrayal. 

   Chris notices her slight apprehension and takes a step closer to her once more. "Thanksgiving is just two weeks away. Do me a favor?" he asks. Opal looks up, meeting the ocean eyes she's grown accustomed to over the last couple of days. "Don't go being someone else's first choice before then?" She chuckles quietly as he reminds her of a previous conversation. He brings one hand up to her chin, holding it between his thumb and forefinger. "Because you're mine. Don't forget that." 

   Opal closes her eyes at his words. They're both dominating and yet comforting, reminding her that he chose her and after this weekend, she is in fact his. Chris takes the opportunity for one more sweet kiss, before hugging her, holding her tightly. 

   "I'll see you in two weeks," he promises, with a gentle kiss to her forehead. Opal backs up, away from the car as she watches him settle behind the wheel before pulling back down the long driveway, leaving Magnolia once again.

~~~~~

Chris POV

   The station bustles with activity when I arrive for my shift Monday evening. I have just enough time to drop my bag in my locker before Captain Larson calls Spencer and I into a small conference room.

   "Take a seat," he instructs us both.  We sit behind a table that is already covered in information we'll need to become familiar with for whichever undercover situation he gives us.

   I glance through some of the papers while listening to Larson give us a bit of background. It seems we'll be helping out the narcotics team, going undercover as potential buyers. "Evans, you'll need to let that scruff on your face grow in a bit more. Think you can manage something a bit thicker within a week?"

   I nod my head, actually thankful I won't have to do any type of shaving for a bit longer. "No haircuts for either of you until this is completely over," he adds. 

   "Any idea how long this may take?" Spencer asks.

   Captain shakes his head. "I'd cancel any plans you have coming up though. I need you  both here, and ready for whatever we need. You'll be moving over to narcotics until this is over. I can't run the risk of y'all pulling over someone related to the situation or being spotted. Got it?"