.13.

Chris POV

   I'm up before the sun, hazard of the job. But I also want to make sure Opal doesn't head back to the hospital by herself today. After a quick shower, I get dressed and send a text to Jameson letting him know I wouldn't be around until later in the day. Unsure of how long we'll be gone, but I  know we'll be back in time for the rehearsal in order to fulfill both of our duties as best man and maid of honor.

   When I've filled my pockets with my wallet, cell and keys I head downstairs. It's quiet, only the small sounds I can hear are coming from the kitchen and the young woman standing behind the front desk.

   "AnnaBeth, is it?" I ask her as I walk towards the desk.

   "Yes sir. How can I help you?"

   "Do you happen to know Opal's favorite coffee or breakfast item?" I inquire.

   "This time of year it's pumpkin coffee and a cream cheese and pumpkin muffin," she answers.

   "Okay. Any idea where I can find those items around here?" Couldn't have simply said plain black coffee and a glazed doughnut?

   "Just up the road actually. It's called Cafe Shay. You'll make a right and it's about three blocks down," she offers up the information.  "They just opened about ten minutes ago so you shouldn't have much of a wait."

   "Perfect! Thanks again."

~~~~~

Opal POV

      I'm not ready to face this day. Today was just suppose to be girly fun in preparation for the big day tomorrow. A check in with Pops after his treatment. Now, I'll be hanging out at the hospital hoping for answers that don't break me.

    I prepare for how cold I know I'll be at the hospital and toss a hoodie over my purse.  A messy bun won't even cut it today so I'm glad I packed a ball cap. Add in jeans, a tee and my converse and I officially look like I'm back in college.  Today is also a no makeup day. I just don't have the energy to care.

   My phone rings. Glancing at the clock and seeing it's just 7 am, I think it's way too early for anyone to be calling me, which in turn sends me into a panic.  Relief washes over me as I see it's just Lily.

   "Hello my beautiful bestie!" I answer, trying to get my heart back into a normal rhythm.

   "Hey. How are you doing this morning? Did you get some rest?"

   I go on to tell her that I'm doing fine and was able to sleep a bit. "I'm about to head up to the hospital now. I'll be back later this afternoon to fulfill my other duties."

  "You  know I'm not worried about all of that right?"

   I think to myself she must be drunk. She's never not wanted things done her way. "No, it's fine. I'll be back in time for everything."

   "How was it having Chris with you?" I knew I wouldn't be able to get off the call without that question.

   "It was okay." I somewhat lie.

   "Just okay?" she wants more information but thankfully there's a knock on my door.

   "Hey, I've gotta go. I think AnnaBeth is knocking at my door. I'll update you when I know something." We say our goodbyes and I drop my phone in my purse.

   When I open the door, I don't see the blonde standing in front of me. Instead I see enchanting blue eyes attached to a scruffy faced man.  "Can I help you?"

   "I come baring breakfast," Chris says with a smile.

   "Why?"

   "Because I'm taking you back up to the hospital. Didn't we discuss this last night?"