.15.

Chris POV

I have been a part of hostage situations. I've been shot at on more than one occasion. I've been in many a high speed chase. But this woman, I swear, will be the death of me.

When Opal left my car and came inside I saw her go directly to her office. She's refusing to give me any indication as to why we can't even fathom going on a single date. It's frustrating. I stayed in my car for a few minutes, texting Jameson, letting him know we were back from the hospital.

I don't go directly upstairs to my room. Instead I go out onto the back patio and go out towards the edge of the property to sit where we sat Friday night before Opal received the call about her grandfather.

"Mr. Evans," I hear someone call out to me just before I sit down. I look over my shoulder to see the blonde, AnnaBeth from the front desk.

"Yes," I answer.

She walks closer to me, more relaxed than when she was up front this morning. "Can I get anything for you? A drink or maybe a snack? Our chef, Mila, made an incredible soup for lunch today. I'd be happy to bring you a cup."

"No, thanks. I'm fine actually. Just want to enjoy the quiet for a bit." I sit down and put my focus on the fire pit in front of me. It's obviously not lit, but it's something to focus my attention on rather than the frustration I'm feeling.

"Would you mind some company?" she asks. I can't help the strange look that I'm sure comes over my face. She notices it and interjects before I can say anything. "Opal, she gave me a break until this evening. I don't really live close enough to go home just to come back."

The gentleman inside of me says I should offer her a seat and welcome conversation. But, my mind is set on one woman and I need to figure out how to break down her walls. I don't need a lengthy distraction from figuring out what to do.

I look back up at AnnaBeth, ready to give the gentlemanly answer. That is until I see the way she's looking at me, batting her lashes and suddenly acting very shy.

    Nope. No ma'am. Not happening.

"Actually, I'd like to be alone, if you don't mind," I make her aware.

"Oh, um, alright then." She steps back and begins to walk away. I feel bad for coming across ugly, but I'm not about to welcome unwanted attention in that way.

"AnnaBeth," I call out.

"Yes, Mr. Evans," she says turning back to face me.

"Thanks for you help this morning, the breakfast for Opal," I say. She nods and says you're welcome. "I need a bit more help, though. Do you have any idea what her favorite color or her favorite flower is?"

She offers me a smile before answering. "Favorite color is navy, and her favorite flower is actually tulips."

I stand back up to my feet and pull the keys out of my pocket. "Thanks AnnaBeth. I appreciate it."

"You like her don't you?" she asks me as I head back towards the parking lot.

Looking back over my shoulder I give her my answer. "Yeah, I really do."

~~~~~

Opal POV

Lily text me to let me know that the limo they rented for the bridal party would be at Magnolia to pick us up at 6 pm. That leaves me exactly one hour to make myself not look like the college version of myself.

I decide to curl my hair in loose waves. Make up is very similar to the night we went out in Atlanta, just a little heavier than what I normally wear. I look over the three dresses I brought specifically for tonight, trying to decide which one to choose. I can't help but let my mind wander and think which one Chris would like most.