.107.

Opal POV    

  The day begins too early for my liking, the alarm going off at 4 AM. The hope to be out of the house before five becoming a reality as there's not a speck of light in the sky. 

  I shuffle out of bed and begin getting dressed for the trip. No reason to look anything more than just decent since I'll be in a car for the majority of the day. A pair of denim shorts adorned with a pattern of white stars pair perfectly with my black Thin Blue Line flag shirt that Chris gifted me during my previous visit. "Gonna be a cop's wife, might as well start your support now," he told me with a smirk. I playfully remind him I've supported him long before the proposal.

  While in the master bath I hear the shower begin running down the hall, letting me know my house guest is also up and preparing for the day. After making myself look presentable I toss my make up bag and essentials into my suitcase and zip it up before taking it over to the front door. 

  I stand in the foyer, hands on my hips running through a mental checklist, making sure I've remembered everything. Feeling satisfied with my rundown I head to the kitchen remembering I need to take care of a couple more things in there before we can leave. 

"You got your meds packed?" Chris asks as he makes his way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

  I stifle a yawn before I can answer him. "Yes, dear." I finish loading the dishwasher so I'm not  leaving dirty dishes in the sink while gone for the next few days. 

He comes up behind me, one hand on my hip as he leans to kiss me on the cheek. "Good morning, gorgeous." The scent of fresh soap lingering on him with a hint of mint from his toothpaste.

  A slow smile crosses my lips as I marvel in the small touches of domestic life with him. "Morning to you. Sleep okay?"

  "That I did. Although the blanket gave me nightmares. We'll have to compromise on our NFL picks when we get married," he answers, dropping his toiletry bag into his duffle. With this being a one night only stay he didn't need to pack much at all. I shoot him a look of disgust as he just smiles widely. "You bout ready to hit the road?" He picks up his Boston baseball cap, putting it on backwards. 

  I have to be careful not to let him see what that actually does to me. Mercy help me if he wears it that way the whole trip.

  "Almost," I respond, closing up the dishwasher before turning it on to run. Walking into the living room I see Chris has already folded up the Jaguar blanket he used, laying it across the back of the couch. "Ever the gracious house guest, I see."

  "For now, anyways," he teases. He grabs his duffle in one hand, tossing it over his shoulder as he grabs my suitcase. "I'm gonna go put these in the car."

  While he's gone I double check my purse, making sure my charging cords are rolled up, and my wallet is still in its rightful place. Grabbing my keys I go ahead and place them in the lock, readying it for when we lock up. 

  "You mentioned last night something about a garment bag. Where is it?" Chris asks, stepping back over the threshold.

  "Oh, right! Thank goodness you said something." I open the hall closet door and pull out the navy blue garment bag. "Would've been really terrible if we got there and I realized I didn't have a dress for the ball. You'd have to go alone." I pass him the bag.

  "Nope. I'd have just taken you shopping." He leans in to kiss me. "Never do I have to do these types of things alone again." His hand teases my left one, touching the ring that rests on my finger. 

  I pick up my purse and shut the door behind us, locking it. "There's no way you ever went to these things alone. Have you seen you?" 

  He chuckles while opening up the passenger door for me. "Once or twice, at least. One year I was desperate enough to take Cooper's sister."