.60.

Opal POV

  "Party's here!" Laura calls out as she lets herself in through my front door for girls night.

 Life is back to as close to normal as it can be when I let myself fall in love with a man that doesn't live near me, nor do I know when we'll see each other again, or the fact that he looks like he's been sculpted by the Greek gods themselves. But the fact that he's mine, now that's a thought that keeps me warm at night.

  "Get in here," Lily calls out from a stool at the kitchen counter. "We've got a lot of time to make up for."

  She speaks truth as it is now the end of January and the first opportunity we've all had to get together since my Boston and New York adventure. We've sent short and sweet texts but no details of really anything has been shared.

  Rae grabs the charcuterie board off of the dining table once she realizes we're congregating around the island in the kitchen. Laura comes in with a bottle of wine as Lily moves to place the glasses in front of her. I take my glass and fill it with water. I may not drink but that doesn't mean I can't use the fancy wine glass.

  Lily hands a glass off to Rae who waves it off, causing all three of us to give her a strange look. "What?" she says, shrugging her shoulder. "I'm just not in the mood."

  "Since, uh when?" Laura asks. "You usually come close to a half a bottle all on your own at girl's night."

  Rae sighs before going towards her purse. "I was gonna wait, but..." she walks back in carrying something behind her back. "You're all gonna be Aunties!" She whips out the sonogram photos placing them on the counter in front of us.

  Without a second thought we all squeal in delight, jumping up to grab her in tender hugs. There's tears and screams as we squeeze her tightly. I touch her stomach, "how far along are you?"

  "I'm around eleven weeks now. We found out at the beginning of December but decided to wait until I was through the first trimester. I thought I was in the clear until Opal decided it was time to finally get together," she admits as she reclaims her seat at the island. "And now you know why there's chicken nuggets on this charcuterie board and not soft cheeses." 

  "I just figured it was because you were gonna get drunk and needed better sustenance," Lily laughs out as I slap her on her shoulder. She's always been brazen.

  "Planned or unexpected?" Laura asks. 

  Rae gives a small smile, "little bit of both. We haven't been using any type of protection, just figured we'd let nature take its course and apparently now was the time."

  "So, I guess that means Lily will be next," I say, motioning with my hand in Lily's direction. She narrows her eyes at me. "I'm a newlywed, leave me be."

  "So, who else has news?" Rae asks the group, glancing from one to another waiting to see who is gonna spill any other beans.

  Lily shakes her head back and forth. "I've got nothing new to share." She looks over to me. "What about you, Ope?"

  I can't help the blush that rises to my cheeks as I bring my glass to my lips. "How was the great adventure with Officer Evans?" Laura asks with a wiggle of her brow. "Is he packing more than his Glock 22 firearm?"

  I choke on my water spitting it out of my mouth and across the kitchen island, right onto Laura's chest. I continue to cough and sputter as Rae beats my back in an effort to help me clear my lungs. 

  "Don't tell me you two haven't. Y'all have been together for a couple months now. We want the deets woman!" 

  I'm suddenly reminded that they don't know about the decision I made alone in that hotel room years ago. How do I dodge this question without going into those details?  "Nothing to tell," I say before turning away from them to fuss over the few dishes that sit in my sink. 

  "I'm calling bull, Opal. A fine man like that doesn't wait around," Laura teases. "So, spill it."

  All eyes are on me, waiting. I turn off the running water, grab a hand towel and dry my hands. I turn to face them, leaning against the counter with one hand on my hip. "As a matter of fact, a fine man like him is doing just that." 

  "Seriously?" Laura asks again. Her eyes look as if she doesn't believe me. 

  "Why would I lie about something like this?" I ask them all. 

  "I think that's great," Lily shocks me with her words. "No reason to move fast. Enjoy the feeling of being chased."

  Turning away from them once more as I roll my eyes. This isn't about the chase, but as I can tell I really don't think they'd understand my feelings on the matter. Especially considering I use to behave just as Laura, looking for any amount of comfort a man could give me. But not anymore. 

  "However, the L word has been used," I admit. 

  This time Rae is the one to shriek in excitement. "You said it back?"  I nod, a grin overtaking my face. "This is huge!"

  Laura seems unimpressed by the turn of conversation. "I don't get it. Spencer and I said that after he came to see me the first time." She pours herself a second glass of wine, already finished with her first. 

  "You fall in love like you change your underwear," Lily says pointedly at her friend. "But for Ope here, it's been since probably high school."

  "Rude!" Laura snaps back. "This is different, guys." We all stare back at her. "What is it gonna take for you all to believe that? Ya know what, hang on." She pulls her cell from her pocket, opening it up, her finger swiping across as she searches for something. "Here." She thrusts the phone in our faces. On the screen is a photo of her left hand wearing an engagement ring. All three of us look back at her, confused.

  "You're engaged?" Rae asks.

  "No," she shakes her head. "Not yet anyway. But he and I looked at rings when he was in town last week." Our faces match each other, completely surprised by the turn of events. "So, who wants to apologize first?" 

  "Well," I start, "I didn't say anything so, I've got nothing to apologize for. But hey, it definitely overshadows my news," I mumble the last part. 'Surprise, surprise,' I think to myself.

  "Good for you, if this is really you changing your ways," Lily tells her. She's really the only one that can get away with being so direct and blunt. 

  "So, I'm assuming then that y'all have really talked marriage? It's kind of soon, don't you think?" Rae adds. 

  Laura huffs out her frustration before collapsing in a chair. "Yes, we've talked about it. I didn't hold a gun to his head either. He's it for me, and he feels the same. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen by Valentine's Day."

  "That's great," I say, offering plates to each of them as Laura continues on in the talks of her future with Spencer.

  So much for my  news, and yet I'm not even slightly surprised. Maybe I need new friends.