.133.

Opal POV

Anger.

The second stage of grief.

This one is easier to come by as the shock wears away quickly. There have been no more trips to the hospital, or picking up prescriptions to prepare for his homecoming. Denial almost seemed nonexistent.

  What is existent, is the gaping hole in my heart.

  The first full day without him has come and gone. I lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling like I have most of the night. I blink every so often, hoping at some point that the blink will last long enough for me to fall asleep. It's all a lost hope as I see dawn begin to break.

  Swinging my legs over the side of the bed, I push myself up, sitting still for a moment. My body feels so heavy that I find it difficult to go any further. I just sit, looking at the floor, willing myself to move.

  A knock on the bedroom door causes me to shift my gaze, but not open my mouth immediately. "Opal?" Chris' voice quiet.

  "Yeah," I manage to croak out.

  "Are you decent?"

  Who knew that a question I used so many times before would now send me into a whirl of frustration?

  My feet immediately move, a new found urge flowing through my tired limbs. I snatch the door open. Chris' eyes wide in surprise, the tray in his hand shaking slightly. "What did you just ask me?" I question him, seething.

  Instantly his eyes shut tightly and he exhales a large sigh. "I'm so sorry, Opal. I wasn't thinking."

  I go to slam the door in his face but he pushes the breakfast tray out, stopping it, causing the coffee to spill against the tray and his chest. He grimaces and groans in pain. I know I should apologize, and yet I don't.

  He sets the tray on the end of the bed as I climb back in. He takes his soaked shirt off, revealing a tinge of red on his chest where the hot liquid hit. I expect him to go into my bathroom and throw cold water over his skin. Instead he picks the plate off the tray and uses his shirt to wipe away the coffee it was sitting in. I'm shocked the coffee didn't end up in the plate. "I made you some eggs and toast." He walks it to me. "And coffee but I'll need to make another cup."

"I don't want it," I reply coldly as he sits on the edge next to me.

"You need to eat."

"And you need to get out," I challenge him.

His jaw twitches and his lips go in a thin, tight line. He blinks and swallows, his Adam's Apple bobbing up and down. I'm pissing him off. And I don't care. "Eat and I will."

"How about no?"

"Suit yourself," he says, standing up from the bed. He walks into my closet, moves something around and comes out wearing the hoodie he sent back with me from Boston. He takes a spot on the other side of the bed, making himself comfortable.

"Get. Out."

"When you eat, I will," he says calmly.

"Fine, then I'll go." Getting up from the bed once more I go to the dresser, grabbing my undergarments. Next the closet for clothes and then I go into the bathroom, slamming the door behind me. For extra emphasis, I lock it.

Chris POV

She slams the door behind her and I hear the lock go into place before the noise from the shower starts. I lean my head back against her headboard, close my eyes and take a deep breath.