.85.

Animated conversation has hit a lull by the time hour three hits. Jameson, Rae and Anthony decide it's time for a coffee run and offer to return with snacks since everyone refuses to leave the waiting room, too afraid of missing any form of update.

Pops, Lisa, and Laura's mom focus on the television set as the afternoon news begins. Chris sits with Lily and Spencer off to the side, attempting to play a game of cards. He lets out a chuckle as he hears the sports reporter mention that the Jaguars were handed another loss over the weekend. What he wouldn't give to rag Opal about her horrible taste in sports teams.

  "Family of Miss Boxer?" a voice comes from the doorway, startling all of them. Imagine the surprise on her face as they all stand and move closer to her. "All of you?"

  "Some friends, some family," Lily says. 

  Spencer moves an extra step forward. "How is she?"

  "She's in recovery right now. Everything went well. If you follow me I'll lead you down to the waiting area where she'll be moved to shortly." The nurse stands and waits by the door as Spencer and Laura's mother gathers their stuff. 

  "Text me if you hear anything?" Spencer asks Chris before he follows the nurse down the hall. 

  "You can go too if you want Lily," Chris offers. "I can text you any updates. If we ever get any." He flops down into a chair as he exhales a large breath. 

  "I'm not going anywhere yet." She takes the seat next to Chris as Jameson, Rae and Anthony walk in, their arms laden with different items.  

  Pops can't help but laugh as he sees Rae empty her purse too. The table where Chris, Lily and Spencer had been playing cards now sits covered with candy bars, bags of chips, a couple of small salads, sandwiches, bottled waters and Cokes. "That's not a purse, girl. That's a suitcase," he teases the woman. 

  "It gets the job done." He wraps his arm around her waist pulling her to his side and kissing her cheek.

  "How are you feeling, sweetheart?" he asks as she grabs one of the salads.

  "We're making it," she tosses him a wink and a smile. "I can't wait for the baby to meet his Pops."

  "Honorary grandfather for everyone, huh?" Lisa questions.

  "Wouldn't have it any other way," he says with a kind smile.

  "I look forward to being a grandma one day," Lisa says with a sly look over at her son. 

  Chris lets out a scoff but yet his lips turn up into a small smile.

 "When you gonna give me a great grandbaby, Officer?" Pops question taking Chris off guard, he chokes on his Coke. "Easy son, I'm just teasing ya."

  "Gotta convince her to marry me first," Chris admits. "Once that happens I'll be sure we start working on that."

  "I bet you will," Pops laughs out, causing the rest of the group to join in the lively banter.

  Chris' phone goes off, a text from Spencer. "Spencer says Laura is in her room. She's groggy but pain level is low thanks to meds. Said she's asking about Opal." He gives a quick message back letting his friend know that they're still waiting for news but that he's happy Laura is doing well.

  ~~~~~

Chris POV

  Hour five hits and my nerves are shot. We were told five hours at most, but yet we still sit here twiddling our thumbs. I encouraged the girls and their husbands to go visit Laura, which leaves Ma, Pops and myself alone in the waiting room.