.14.

Opal POV

   I'm not entirely sure where that wink came from. 

   Maybe I experienced an outer body experience? Maybe an alien took over the functions of my face? Maybe my heart and brain are not in the mood to argue with each other anymore? I'm not sure, but I know that smile Chris just gave me is different from his others. This one accompanies a slight tinge of pink across his cheeks. What on earth did I just do?

   I already know the ride back to Magnolia will be insufferable. 'Get it together and stop the inner monologue,' I tell myself.

   I go back to sitting next to Pops, leaving Chris in the chair across from him. "I brought you a newspaper, and a crossword book. Figured you might like something to do other than watch television."

   "Thank you, love." He takes both items from me and places them on the table next to him. "So what are the big wedding plans for today?"

   I cast my eyes back at Chris who shrugs his shoulders. "I've got no clue to be honest. Haven't even actually spoken to Jameson today."

   "Some best man you are," I tease.  "We have the rehearsal and the dinner. Nothing too crazy I don't think. I'll probably spend most of the rest of the time checking on things at the Inn."

   "You should enjoy yourself too, ya know," Pops says. "You're not getting any younger."

   "Not really a reminder I need Pops. Trust me."

   "You always care for others more than yourself. I'd like to see you be a little selfish at some point," he confides. 

   That's not in my nature and he knows that. Everyone else does come before me, I don't have any idea how to actually be selfish. "This isn't something we should be discussing in mixed company. So, can we let it go?"  I don't even have to look at him to know that Chris is shifting around in his seat.

   There's no chance for him to answer me as a nurse comes in to tell him it's time for his treatment. Since he's having it here in the hospital they don't allow anyone to sit with him during the procedure. She informs us that it'll take about four hours.

   "I'd planned on hanging out with you for most of the day," I tell him. 

   "Nonsense! Go, and enjoy the festivities. Maybe show Chris around a bit," Pops suggests. 

   More time spent with Chris, one on one, will only lead to me opening up to him, and that's not gonna happen if I can help it. "We'll see how the day goes," I concede even though I know my decision. "Take care old man. I'll try and come by tomorrow but it'll be late."

   "You come back and see me on Monday, after things calm down."

   "Yes sir," I tell him, going in for another hug.

   "And Chris, if I don't see you again, have a safe trip back home. Take care of yourself, son. You've got a life ahead of you as well. Don't take it for granted," he advises.

  "I certainly do, sir. Thanks for letting me tag along. It's been a pleasure to get to know you," he admits. They shake hands again, probably for the last time. 

   "Love ya, Pops. Be good!"

   "Where's the fun in that Ope?" he laughs. "Go on now! Go be young and carefree."

   I give him one more smile and blow him a kiss as we move to the door.  

   Carefree. What does that even mean? 

~~~~~

   "So, where to next?" Chris asks me once we're back in his car.

   "Back to Magnolia." It's close to lunch time now. I'm done at the hospital much earlier than I expected.