.157.

*Unedited due to a migraine.

Chris POV

  The word spoken was no louder than a whisper, her expression giving off the look of worry that I may actually tell her 'no.'

  My feet move towards her on their own accord, just a couple of steps. Her eyes watching me as I changed my direction. "What was that?" I know what she said, but  I need to hear it again.

  Her back against the door frame, one foot holding the hotel room door open, while her gaze falls to the floor. "Stay," she repeats as she fiddles with her fingers. 

  I stop traveling to her, my feet still attempting to shuffle across the carpet hallway. Is she ready to get back together? I'm not sure I can let my heart actually believe that could be a possibility without hearing the words. "Ope," I sigh. "Are you saying-"

  "I'm not saying anything other than asking you to stay with me tonight, Chris." Her eyes finally meet mine again. There's a desire hidden behind them, not of lust, but of wanting to feel safe and secure again. I remember seeing the same look when I showed up after the break in. 

  "I'm not sure that's a good idea, sweetheart," I calmly say, noticing the slight shudder and blush at my term of endearment.

  Her head hangs as she lifts her hand to push through her hair. Looking back up at me she smiles warmly. "There's two beds and I'll keep to myself. I just," she pauses with a long sigh, "I just want you near."

  I stand a bit straighter, allowing my feet to continue their trek until I'm back at her door. I push against the wood, pushing it away from where her foot has been holding it open. With my hand in front of me, I motion, "Ladies first."

Opal POV

  One might ask what exactly came over me in that moment? The fact that I miss feeling safe and secure, and being with him tonight brought that screaming reality back to me. 

  The back and forth playful banter and the teasing, made my  heart feel a sense of lightness that I hadn't felt in several weeks. The small touches, intimate looks, has had my heart racing in ways that only he has ever been successful with. 

  And as much as I try, I can't quit him as easily as I thought. 

"Ope, are you saying-"

  "I'm not saying anything other than asking you to stay with me tonight, Chris," I interrupt him, finally looking back at him. My heart races for fear of what he may say.

 "I'm not sure that's a good idea, sweetheart," he tells me, still standing in his spot down the hall. But that one word, causes me to blush and shiver all at once. 

  I drop my head again, trying to hide what he's done to me. I run one hand through my hair before finally lifting  my  head again. "There's two beds and I'll keep to myself. I just," I pause, exhaling a long sigh, "I just want you near."

 Chris begins walking towards me once more, his hand immediately pushing against the door. With one swift motion of his hand, "Ladies first."

  And just like that, I feel lighter and happier as I lead the way into the room. But as soon as I turn around and see him standing by the door with his hands in his pockets, I almost feel like I'm about to panic. I know it makes no sense, we've spent all evening together, but there were buffers up until the last twenty minutes. "Uh, excuse me for a few minutes?" I more or less tell him rather than ask. Grabbing up the first items that sit on the top of my suitcase along with my toiletry bag I high tail it to the bathroom. I smile to myself as I hear him chuckle behind me.