.98.

Chris POV

   "Happy birthday, sweetie!" Ma yells across the airport concourse once she sees me. The joy on her face is indescribable as my dad and Scott trail behind her.

  I lean over wrapping my arms around her short stature before hugging my dad and giving a brotherly slap to Scott's shoulder. "Good flight?" I ask them.

  "No problems at all. Where's Opal?" Dad asks as we move to the escalator.

  "At the apartment. She thinks I'm working a shift." 

  "Chris, you're the one that wanted me up here earlier than originally planned, and yet you've barely been around. It's your birthday, I'd like to spend some time with you," she pouts from her stance in front of the stove where she's making pancakes. 

  "I know, love. But, if I want to be off for the party tonight and everything tomorrow and the wedding, I've got to go in." I round the corner, grabbing my wallet, watch and holster off the table by the door. I move closer behind her, placing my hand on the small of her back and lean over her shoulder to place a quick peck on her cheek. "Smells great though. I love you, I'll see you tonight."

  Scott gives me a strange look, one I'm very familiar with. "I know. I could very well be playing with fire right now, but it's a chance I've just got to take."  

  Once we reach their baggage claim I leave them with the directions to meet me at a specific exit in about thirty minutes. I make my way back up to the main concourse until I reach terminal C.

  I don't realize I'm a few minutes late and the flight has already began emptying out. I dodge around people trying to spot him.

  "Officer!" I hear called out from behind me. I turn around to see Pops sitting behind me, resting in the chair. 

  I greet him with a warm hug and a smile as he tells me which carousel has his bags waiting. "She suspect anything yet?" he asks me as we wait.

  "I think I've got her aggravated with me enough that it'll be a complete shock."

  Pops eyes light up as he gives me a thumbs up. "Good!"

Opal POV

  I continue to pout over my pancakes, glaring at the seat across from me that should be inhabited by a scruffy face, blue eyed, brunette wearing his signature smirk. But instead I'm looking past where his form should be, staring at the collage of photos of the two of us that rest on the wall. 

  Staring intently at the photo from New Years Eve, I stab at the food on my plate, frustrated. I remember joking with him about how an old wives tale says that what you're doing at midnight is what you'll be doing all year long. His response excited me as he said he would be kissing me senseless then. 

'Where's that senseless kissing now, officer?' I think to myself. 

 I've spent most of the time alone in this apartment, outside of a meal with the rest of the bridal party. One that ended with Chris being called in for another meeting. He's barely touched me, small grazes over my lips or my forehead. Definitely no heavy making out, or even a little bit for that matter. And then the kicker this morning when he left before I was even able to give him his gift. 

 "It's what you signed up for," I say aloud to absolutely no one except my coffee cup that sits staring at me with a picture of Chris and his family. 

  I'm starting to wonder if he's done with me. If the distance has taken a toll on him. Has my insecurities been too much for him at this point? Did he find someone else? Maybe a new officer at the station has caught his eye. I really can't blame him, someone close by makes life much easier, more fun, more exciting.