.17.

Opal POV

I'm very well aware of my behavior towards Lily, towards Chris.

I'd have been completely fine, living in my little dream weekend bubble if she had just kept her mouth shut.

I imagine that by now I'd have held Chris' hand, or maybe even let him hold me in an embrace.

I imagine the night would've ended with our first, and possibly only, kiss.

I imagine the night would've ended with me wishing it wouldn't end.

But, that's not real life. In real life, girl get's pissed with best friend for having a big mouth and dredging up the past. In real life, girl takes out frustration on amazing boy that is truly not deserving of girl's anger. In real life girl pushes boy away completely. In real life, girl regrets it forever.

I've sat fuming in the chair that Chris basically dropped me in before going inside. I'm angry with myself. I couldn't see past the discomfort Lily brought on me and may have completely pushed Chris away.

I pick up my heels and walk around the outside of the building, same as earlier tonight, and go back to the carriage house. I decide to change into comfortable clothing and go light one of the fire pits.

I find sitting around a fire helps me unwind, relax, and reflect. Reflection can go one of two ways. It can sow more discourse or help one see their overreaction as unnecessary. I wonder which one I'll experience tonight.

~~~~~

Chris POV

I jerk my tie off from around my neck and loosen the buttons on my shirt. My frustration level is high. Normally I'd go to the gym and spend some time on the punching bag, but that's not an option here.

Instead, I take off my suit coat, tossing it on the bed. I slip out of my pants and dress shirt, putting on a pair of grey sweat pants and a navy shirt. I drop to my hands and start doing push ups.

When I reach 30 I reevaluate my anger level. I've gone from an extreme five to a three. Still not enough to let my body relax. Another 30 more and I'm down to a one.

It's just 10 pm and I realize I'm not ready to lay down yet. I find myself looking out the window, towards the carriage house. No lights are on. Then my eyes are caught by movement on the back patio, a small fire coming from one of the pits. There's only one person that would be having a fire at this time of night.

And I must be glutton for punishment.

"Mind if I join you?" I ask Opal when I reach the fire pit.

She doesn't look up at me, only acknowledges me by voice. "If I said no, would you leave?"

"Probably not."

"Then do what you want." It doesn't appear that she's as angry, maybe indifferent though.

Opal is sat on a single chair, legs curled up to her chest, a light blanket wrapped around her. I move to sit on the same loveseat we shared just twenty four hours ago.

My gaze falls on the fire in front of me, but keeps drifting to the woman on my right. I take in the tightness of her jaw, the direct stare, the way she holds the blanket so tight that her knuckles are going white.

She doesn't want me here, that's obvious, so why am I trying to push something that's just not gonna happen? I stand back up on my feet and begin my trek back up to the house. I'm startled when I hear Opal asking where I'm going.