.89.

Opal POV

"Please, please, please," I beg Chris. I'm pulling out all the stops, dropped out of my chair and onto my knees, hands clenched together, puppy dog eyes to match the lip pout.

"Opal," he says sternly.

"Don't make me beg more than I already am, Christopher."

"Get up, Opal." He puts his hands out in front of me, offering me his help to get off the floor. "Come on, love. I don't want you straining anything." He wiggles his fingers for me to grab his hands.

With a huff and an eye roll I let him help me off the living room floor. "Come on, Chris. One hour, that's all I'm asking for."

He breathes in deeply, crossing his arms against his chest, muscles bulging under his short sleeve shirt. "No lifting."

I shake my head side to side. "No lifting."

"No cleaning."

"No cleaning," I agree.

"I don't know, Ope."

I start to whine and whimper. "Chris, it's been four weeks since the accident."

"But only two and a half since your surgery," he interjects.

I take a step closer to him, pulling his arms away from his chest and settling them on my hips. "I love you for being so careful and cautious with me, but I just want to go to Magnolia and check on things. One hour, babe. That's all I'm asking for."

He drops his head a bit to rest against my own forehead. "One hour?"

"You can even stay with me if you want. I don't care, I just need to go somewhere other than the doctor's office." I watch his resolve falter at my request.

I bat my eyelashes at him annoyingly quick. "Alright, I give. But, you promise to lay down when we get back."

"What if I'm not tired, Chris? I don't see why I need to lay down if I don't feel like it."

He's looking at me so intently that I feel like he's about to burn a hole through me. Right as I'm about to whine he raises his brow, challenging me to continue. "Fine." I turn on my heel to grab my cardigan and my purse. "So demanding," I mumble under my breath.

"I heard that."

"Good. Bet it doesn't make a hill of beans difference though," I sass back at him.

"You should be use to it by now."

~~~~~

Later that night we are snuggled up to one another on the couch. The television playing a Pandora station as we just sit and enjoy one another's company. The last frozen meal from Mila warming in the oven.

"At least we were able to bring home more of Mila's salted caramel brownies," I remind him.

"Yeah. I like how your one hour turned into three."

"It's not my fault that you had to go help Pop's with his clogged sink." I poke my finger into his side.

Chris shifts ever so slightly. "I think you called him and set it up."

I act as innocent as possible. "I don't know what you're talking about. You were with me the whole time until he called."

He shakes his head side to side slowly. "Not when you sent me to the car to get your sunglasses. I should've realized then, why on earth would you need your sunglasses inside your office."

I stifle a laugh as I bring my hand to cover my mouth.

"Guess my skills are beginning to get rusty," he admits with a chuckle of his own.