.86.

Opal POV

  "So, I heard that you and I almost became way more intimate with one another."  My comment pointed at Chris, who just walked back through my hospital room door. I breathe in deeply realizing he's brought Mexican food from the restaurant I took him to after Pops was admitted to the hospital. 

  I'd finally been moved out of the ICU and into a normal hospital room. It's much bigger and I no longer feel claustrophobic now when there's more than one visitor present. The added bonus of a window helps as well even though the view is of a parking garage. There's a pull out chair as well in which Chris has been residing in each night, while Pops is normally occupying it during the day. However, today it's just Chris and I as Lisa had taken Pops to his treatment.

  I get myself comfortable in the bed once more, thankful for the shower the nurse just helped me take. Also that I'm finally out of a hospital gown, even if it's replaced by another gown instead of pajama pants so that there's nothing resting against my incisions yet.

  Chris cocks his head to the side. "I'm pretty sure that's something I would have remembered." He sets the food down on my small tray before he starts to pull items from the bag. My stomach growls as I can smell the empanadas already. "Explain please."

  "The nurse just told me I had two available donors. But, my question is, why didn't you tell me that you were one of them?" I fix the blanket over my legs to make sure I don't flash him or anyone else who decides to walk in. 

  I watch him open the to go containers, setting things out perfectly. He looks back into the bag. "Napkins. I forgot the napkins. I'll be back in a few minutes. You don't have to wait on me." He kisses my forehead and moves towards my door, walking out without answering my question. 

  Does he think I'm going to be mad at him for not donating? Surely he doesn't think that little of me. I lean back in the bed, crossing my arms against my chest. I sit there, staring at the door until he walks back in ten minutes later.

  "Sorry, the cafeteria was slammed." He sets the napkins on the tray and takes a seat next to what he's claimed as his spot. It's then that he notices I've not picked up the first bite of nachos. "Why aren't you eating?"

  "Because I asked you a question."

  Chris picks up his meal and sits back in the seat. "You should eat. You haven't eaten much since you woke up three days ago."

  "And you should answer my question, officer." 

  He points his fork at my food. "Eat. Then talk."

  "Nice to see you're still demanding." I pick up my container and take a bite. "There." I set it back on my table. "Talk."

  I watch him closely as he fiddles with his fork over his food, wipe his mouth with a napkin, shift around in the leather seat. "Chris," I say softly, "why can't you answer the question?"

  "I don't want you angry with me."

  I'm taken aback by  his statement. "How can I be angry over something like that?" I reach my hand out to rest on his forearm. "It's not like you were my only option. Then I probably would be upset if you refused to help me."

  I see something flash behind his eyes as he looks up at me. It resembles regret, but not about himself. I watch his chest deflate as he lets out a breath. "I wanted to be the one to help you. In fact I approached the doctor as soon as he made the announcement that I was a donor. I was ready then and there, but Laura wouldn't let me get by so easily."

  I roll my eyes not even slightly surprised by that statement. "Of course she didn't. But how did you both come to the decision that it would be her?"

  "I had a conversation with Pops. He mentioned, well asked, if I'd be able to go back on the streets with just one kidney. I didn't know the answer, but I knew that I didn't care. I would do anything and everything to make sure you had what you needed."

  My heart swells at his admission. I take another bite of my lunch, knowing that he's not done with the story.  

  "Laura came and admitted what a terrible friend she'd been to you lately. Between that, a call from my Captain and another conversation with Ma and Pops, I gave in." He lifts his eyes to meet my own. "I'm sorry, Opal."

  I set my food down once more, shifting my body to face him, grimacing at the soreness in my abdomen. "What do you have to be sorry for, Chris?" I reach over the best I can to take his plate off of his lap, setting it beside my own. Taking his hand in mine, I scooch over in the bed, pulling him to join me. 

  Carefully  he sits next to me as I sit up a bit straighter, holding his hand in my own our fingers intertwined. "I worry that she'll hold it over you somehow."

  "That's no reason for you to apologize. I can handle Laura." I pause before releasing a small chuckle. "And when I can't, there's always Lily." He lifts his head to give me a small smile. "Your Captain said you wouldn't be able to go back to the streets, didn't he?"

  Chris nods his head slightly, chewing the corner of his mouth. "I'd give it up for you though, Ope. Please know that."

  I release his hand, moving both of my own to his cheeks that are now covered by a softer beard than before the accident. I'm not surprised, I'm sure shaving was no where on his radar during this time. "I'd never forgive myself if you gave it up for me. If I had been lucid, I'd have chosen Laura."  His eyes gaze at my own, but show a sense of pain by my words. "Not because I love her more than you, or anything like that. But because I couldn't live with myself if you had to give up what you love."

  I feel his own hands move to cover my own, his thumbs gently rubbing the backs of my hands. "I thought I already was losing what I loved." 

 His words so tender that I tear up. "Can't get rid of me that easily, Sergeant. Nice try though." I wink. I rest my forehead against his as he continues to caress my hands. I realize this is the most relaxed I've seen him since I woke up. "I love you, Evans." 

  I feel the difference under my hands as he smiles wide. "I love you too, gorgeous." He pecks my lips gently. "Now," his eyes narrow, "eat."

  "Yes, sir," I give in, releasing his face. He shifts to get out of bed but I pull him back in place. "Stay." I hand him his plate of food once more.

  "Yes, ma'am."