.123.

"Go home, Ope."

  Opal snaps her head in the direction of her best friend. "No way. I'm not leaving him again."

  Visiting hours ended over an hour ago, but the group still remains seated in the waiting room. The buzzing of the florescent lights, the hum of the vending machine and the smell of stale, burnt coffee lingering around them. 

  "You are all welcome to go," Opal assures them.

  Lily scoffs at her words. "We're not going to leave you here."

  "Last I checked, I'm a grown woman," Opal reminds each of them, looking back and forth between her friends. "I don't need any babysitters."

  Rae moves to sit next to Opal, taking her hand and placing it on her baby bump. Opal closes her eyes, giving a soft smile, relaxing ever so slightly as she feels the little push against her hand. "Did it work?" she whispers to Opal as she leans a bit closer.

  "I think it did," she says softly. 

  Lily's phone rings causing her to exit the room. Jameson and Anthony left earlier to go take a look at an issue with the air conditioner at Magnolia. Chris having left to go check in with his mom. 

  "Now, you gonna explain that email a bit more, friend?"

  "Do I have to?" Opal pulls her hand away from Rae's belly. "Not really important now."

  Rae shifts in her seat, turning to face Opal head on. "I beg to differ." Opal shakes her head slightly, looking down at the ground as she swipes her palms against her pants. "You went to Vegas, Ope. And you can try to convince me it was just a spur of the moment vacation opportunity but I will call your bluff."

  "It was a mistake," she whispers under her breath, looking in the opposite direction of her friend. 

  Rae leans forward a bit. "What?" Her brow creased, concern evident.

  Opal sighs, "nothing," she waves her hand at Rae motioning for her to let it go. 

  "Well," Lily announces walking back into the room, "I have to go. Sorry I can't stay any longer, Ope."

  Opal stands to hug her. "I told you it's fine." 

  Lily pulls away from her as her hands rest on Opal's shoulders. "Get some rest."

  "Yes, mother," she sasses with a tiny smile. "You should be going too. Get home and get that baby to bed," she tells Rae, hopeful that she'll leave as well and this whole discussion on Vegas can be laid to rest.

  Rae huffs but stands, moving towards her friends. "I know what you're doing," she tells Opal. 

  Opal just shrugs. "I'm just making sure you take care of yourself and my nephew." She gives Rae a hug and a kiss to the cheek before patting her belly. "I love y'all. Now go."

  She watches the two women walk out through the door and down the stark white hallway until they turn a corner leading to the elevators. She looks around the waiting room, completely empty now with the exception of herself. Chris walks back in as Opal contemplates asking the nurse about changing the station on the television set. 

  "And then there were two," he tells her.

  "Yeah, you just missed Rae and Lily."

  He shook his head. "Nah, caught them at the elevator. I told them I'd call if there was any changes." She nods her head before collapsing once more into a chair. "Long day," he mentions as he sits down next to her.

  "Long thirty-six hours, Evans," she reminds him, watching as he rests his head back against the wall. He chuckles lightly, closing his eyes. 

  Opal puts her purse in her lap, digging through it to locate her house keys. "Here," she holds them out to Chris.