.45.

Opal POV

I can feel myself shaking, even whimpering, as I open my eyes, realizing I'm in the hospital's emergency room. My emotions even more disheveled than earlier, although I thought that would be impossible. "Chris..."

"He's in surgery, Opal." I hear Spencer tell me as I attempt to sit up. That's when I realize I'm hooked up to monitors.

"Be careful," Laura says. "They want to keep an eye on you for a bit. You were out a few minutes when you fainted."

"Anything?" I need some type of information on how Chris is doing. Anything, good or bad. I need to know something.

Spencer slowly shakes his head side to side before leaning over, resting his elbows on his knees, wringing his hands together. Laura moves to his side, resting her hand on his shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. In return he lifts his hand to hold hers.

I try to speak more than one word at a time. "What happened?"

  "We made the exchange and the rest moved in abruptly, spooking the dealers before we got far enough away."

  "But the vest?" I'm struggling with confusion, knowing that they wear bulletproof vests.

  Spencer looks up at me with sad eyes. "The vest is bulletproof but not knife proof."

  I try to keep my composure long enough to speak a little longer. "So, he was stabbed through the vest?" He nods back at me. "And shot, where?"

  "His arm, bicep to be exact."

  "Where was he stabbed?" I ask, waiting for more details that I'm sure I won't be able to handle hearing.

  "I'm not exactly positive. His breathing seemed short but he was conscious. That's got to be good though," he tries his hardest to assure me.

I suddenly remember the dream I had while I was unconscious. Everything about it felt so real that I am actually experiencing an ache of longing in my chest. Was it a glimpse of our future together? Or a glimpse of what will never be? Both thoughts cloud my mind and cause me to double over, beginning to sob harshly again.

  I hear monitors start going off around me as I feel arms wrap around me from behind, pulling me against their chest. "Shh..." Laura attempts to comfort me as I hear a nurse come into the room.

  "Miss Lucas, I need you to try and calm down."

  Her voice does nothing to me as I continue to cry, grasping onto the arms that are holding my chest tightly. "Opal, please," Laura whispers softly. "He's gonna be okay."

  "You don't know that!" I yell out, continuing to cry uncontrollably.

  "Miss Lucas, if you don't calm down I will have to sedate you. Your heart rate is dangerously high," the nurse tells me.

  "I need him," I stutter out, attempting to catch my breath.

  Spencer stands, moving closer to the bed. "Can you get us any type of update on Officer Chris Evans? I think that's the only thing that's going to help her."

  "I'll see what I can do." She exits the room as I continue to try and breathe slower, tears still streaming down my face.

   I manage to cast a weak glance to Spencer who is still standing by the bedside. "Thank you."

  "I need to know just as much as you."

~~~~~

  After about twenty minutes the nurse comes back with very little information, but at least it's something. She informs us that they were able to safely remove the bullet without any issues and he shouldn't have any nerve damage in his arm. She said they were still working on his stab wound but would tell us more when she knew.